Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Homemaking Tip-Grasshopper and the Ants


One of my favorite records growing up had the story of the grasshopper and the ant on it. I think Burl Ives narrated it, but for certain I remember the scary sounds of the wind and cold that the instruments played as the grasshopper shivered and lay down to die, wishing he had been like the ants and prepared for the long winter.

I don’t know if it’s the dozens and dozens of times I heard the record, the fact that my mom always kept a good food storage, the certainty of the law of the harvest because we were farmers, or just because it is Autumn, but this time of year my thoughts always lead to storing food. The current weather and the grim economic news only validate the desire.

I love the security and freedom that a full pantry provides. Food storage has saved our bacon more than once. Because necessity has made me a from-scratch cook, I’ve learned it isn’t difficult to cook with foods that store well. If you’re like me and feel like a squirrel this time of year, here are some articles I’ve posted on the Neighbor Jane Payne website that might give you some ideas.


Bulk Buying

Canning and Freezing

Do It Big

Gardening

Pantry Planning and Shopping Monthly

Substitutions

Raise It

Repackaging

These articles are just for encouragement, but for “official” storage suggestions, I’d go here!

What’s your favorite food storage tip?

10 comments:

Price Cream Parlor said...

This is a great resource. Thank you. I have cooked from scratch for years - grew up that way. I am always interested in seeing other people's weekly/monthly menus. Have you ever posted that? I want to come and be your neighbor! :-)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Ditto! I'd love to be your neighbor, PCP. I could learn so much from you. I haven't posted my menus, but I did post a mother of nine children (I'm not sure where to put the apostrophe s on that!). Her menu is posted here:

http://www.neighborjanepayne.com/read.php?SD=1&SS=129&A=368

Deidra said...

Definitely been feeling the canning bug lately. The day after canning about 9 quarts and 15 pints of pears with my sister, I woke up to the radio warning of all the financial gloom and doom. I definitely knew why we didn't stop canning once the fun wore off!

Becky said...

I can't wait to start checking out all of those links...thanks for sharing all that information. Although I grew up watching my mother can my whole life, I am still learning on my own. Last year I made apricot jam for the first time and canned peaches for the first time...haven't done any this year.

My favorite food storage tip is to USE your food storage. I know people who have tons of food that eventually goes to waste because all they do is store it. I like to stock up on canned foods and other non-perishables at the store when they have a good sale (love coupons!)...that way my food storage is made up of stuff that we really eat. I have some items from the Church cannery but I rotate those as well. I just got a wheat grinder so that I can start using some of the wheat we have...

I love having a clean and organized pantry--nothing else makes me feel as much like a good housewife and homemaker!

Anonymous said...

Great links! I always feel the need to stock and rotate, it is just how I grew up. I have felt the blessings of having food storage while growing up and also while having a family of my own. I think getting started is the hardest part- then it just becomes second nature because you are replacing. Now I can't imagine not doing it. There really is such a feeling of peace and security from having the "squirrel" mentality :)

Alisha said...

My favorite food storage tip is to get that 3-month supply of foods-you-normally-use . . . and use it and rotate it!

I love this switch of direction.

I also love that food previously thought only good for 2-3 or 8-10 years are now good for 30+ years!!

Go lds.org! :)

melanie said...

I love that story. We had a book on tape that I listened to all the time growing up. Thanks for the memory.

I get that fall time urge to store. I'm always on the look out for some great case sale and work to store for the winter. It's my favorite season and if it cools off like it's supposed to then I can start enjoying it!

Alisa said...

I just love reading your blog- I love your message.
And I too would love to be your neighbor, or just be in your ward.

My favorite food storage tip ...
hmmm- I think would be to just start.
That always seems to be the hardest thing. And to start with what you currently eat. I agree with you on how food storage can be such a blessing. We have seen it in our own life this summer. Or when kids get sick and I can't make it to the grocery store for our regular run. Or when someone calls and needs me to take a meal in.
Thanks for all the links!

Jill said...

Thanks for all the great links. I appreciate your wisdom and advice. I spent 4 hours today cleaning our garage (again) and taking a mental inventory of our food storage and emergency preparedness stuff. It had looked like a lot until I got in there and really organized it, now I see we have a lot of refried beans and Clorox wipes!

michelle said...

Thanks, Jane. I NEED food storage tips! I'm a cook from scratch gal, but I am really not good at storage and rotation...

A full pantry is definitely security to me!