Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Homemaking Tip—Join the Relief Society

the first Relief Society in 1842


Today Calvin is taking Grace to meet Abe in Georgia—via Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama. They are also stopping to see Ty in Colorado Springs along the way. In the worst way I wanted to finish Ty’s mission scrapbook to send to him as a surprise (please don’t envision a grandiose scrapbook; you can imagine lots and lots and lots and lots of photos if you’d like, but that is all the further your imagination should take you).

I realized Monday evening that there was no way I could finish Ty’s scrapbook in time because I was going to run out of page protectors and album extender rods for all of those lots and lots and lots of pictures. The closest store having those specific supplies is over 70 miles away—too far to get there and back, still go to work and finish the book. However, I remembered that Sunday while we were sitting in Relief Society they announced that several sisters (as we call each other) were going to the temple on Tuesday. The temple is real close to the scrapbook store so early Tuesday morning I called one of the women who said she was going and told her my dilemma. I asked if she would pick up the supplies for me. She not only said yes, she said heaven’s yes!

After I hung up the phone Calvin said, “There is no way I would have asked someone to do that.”

I said, “I know. But if you were part of Relief Society you would . . .”

You see, Relief Society is a women's organization all about helping each other, whether you need scrapbooking supplies or advice. We clean each other’s ovens and tend each other’s children. We listen to each others stories and cry or laugh (and sometimes we even roll our eyes) together. We teach each other lessons about faith, tomatoes, Alzheimer’s, sacrifice, writing resumes and building stronger families. We sew quilts and hats, crochet leper bandages and gather school supplies for those in need. We watch movies and go to meetings together. We share Christmas gift ideas and Thanksgiving recipes. We eat together (we looooove to eat together). We discuss books and world conditions. Unitedly we aim to live the Savior’s motto that charity never faileth.

Truly, joining Relief Society is the best homemaking tip I’ve ever suggested; it is an army of women willing to help, teach, encourage and befriend you all while giving you the opportunity to do the same for someone else.

Just think what Calvin is missing.

13 comments:

tina said...

I LOVE this post, Jane! So, true! Can't express how much I agree with everything you wrote! I am thankful to know you and to be able to partake of your tips. :)

Darla said...

Jane, now you might find this a tad funny coming from a non LDS member. But I loved relief society when I married Jeff. We did some really cool things!! And I agree with you.. you could have called any relief society member or any scrapbooker & they would have been thrilled..

Great post!!

Barb said...

Heaven's yes to this whole post!

melanie said...

This post made me teary eyed because a cousin in need is being blessed as we speak because of sweet sisters that surround her. Cleaning her pantry, her garage, mopping, wiping, painting. You name it. All the service she needs and deserves while they both receive countless blessings. Yes I have rolled my eyes a time or two (cough), but it really is an army of women ready to help. Love this post too!

Amy said...

amen!

Deidra said...

I love my membership in the Relief Society. It's good to know you always have several women there and willing to help you out!

Emma J said...

And now I am feeling even more guilty for not going to Enrichment tonight. I think in the decade+ that I've been serving in YW and Primary I've forgotten some of this vision of Relief Society. Thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

Amen

Love,
BRENDA

Julie said...

The thing I love about Relief Society is it's the same no matter where you go. It's the same in Norway! An army of faithful women who are there to help. I would love to see Ty's book. I'm sure he will love it!

ps. Calvin wouldn't have asked because men DON'T ASK. It's great to be a woman.

Marie said...

I loved the list of things we do together. So diverse.

Hooray for the RS!

Jill said...

I love it that you called and asked for help with this and I love the image of an army of women ready to help. It's such a blessing in my life!

Kim Sue said...

I'll give them a big ole shout out as they make their way across the country and are probably passing within a few miles of me! Hope they have a fabulous trip!

michelle said...

This IS the best homemaking tip ever!! Relief Society rocks.

Also, I am loving the image of Calvin and Grace on their road trip. Who is the luckier, your family or Grace?