Sunday, November 22, 2009

52 Blessings--Corn


Sometimes I think corn is my favorite grain. Other times I’m pretty sure it’s wheat. But today, it’s corn that I'm grateful for.

Maybe it’s because it’s almost Thanksgiving and I’ve been thinking about Squanto teaching the Pilgrims that by dropping a fish head into a hole along with a few kernels of corn, the corn would produce more abundantly. John Howland was one of my ancestors and I’m grateful to the Indians for keeping the Pilgrims alive that first year. I bet corn had a lot to do with it.

Maybe corn is my favorite today because not only is it a grain, it’s a vegetable and we ate frozen corn for dinner.

Maybe corn is my favorite because there are Corn Pops in the cupboard.

Or maybe corn is my favorite today because it is because of corn that we have:

popcorn
corn syrup
vegetable oil
glue
gum
spark plugs
batteries
ink
insecticides
ketchup
licorice
livestock feed which means meat and eggs
corn chips
cornbread
tortillas
cold cereal

What is your favorite corn contribution?

13 comments:

jenny said...

I will have to say corn is definitely one of my favorite vegetables especially when you add in some cream. Yum!

Anonymous said...

spicy cheetos. and maybe corn tortillas. and that's about it.

BRENDA

Lucy said...

I love corn. I hate that it has become a taboo "starchy/ eat rarely" food. Because, like potatoes, it is so versatile. How can it be bad for us? God put it on the earth.

I love corn in soups. I like the taste of eating corn on the cob but not the mess. My mom makes a mean creamed corn that we call "Indian Corn" for Thanksgiving dinner. It's something more than creamed. There is a smoky taste to it.

Yum!

Jill said...

I embrace all of corn's creations!

Alisa said...

Frozen corn. Popcorn.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I love just plain old corn on the cob!
Mmmm, another reason to look forward to summer!

Unknown said...

Corn chips. With fresh salsa. Or, maybe fresh corn tortillas. Or masa around a savory tamale. Maybe I should have Mexican food for lunch today :)

Deidra said...

We've become addicted to Our Best Bite's kettle corn as of late. (We cut the oil to 2 TB.) Never again will I pay $6 for a bag of it at SummerFest, especially when I know how easy it is, and how cheap 1/3 cup of popcorn is!

I'm going to have to say that I'm definitely a what girl though!

Deidra said...

I knew I shouldn't hit post as I run to answer my phone without one last proofread! I'm a wheat girl!

Becky said...

I love corn too! I have fond memories of picking corn early in the mornings at the church farm once a year and then sitting on the back porch with siblings shucking it so my mom could blanch and freeze it all. So, I guess good memories is my favorite corn contribution :)

P.S. Thanks for all the nice comments you always leave on my blog...they always make me feel so good. This Thanksgiving I am grateful for great blogging friends like you!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Memories of my dad and the joy he had when we had fresh corn on the cob! They are some of my favorite memories of him. He loved it fresh so much that he would say to mom, "put a pot of water on to boil, I am going out to pick some corn."

Emma J said...

Cornbread - mmm. And polenta. Spoonbread. Relish. Popcorn. On the cob. Casey likes it creamed - which I think must be a taste you have to grow up with?

Hey! Hope you have a really great Thanksgiving!

michelle said...

Spark plugs and batteries?? Huh.

I guess my favorites are: corn on the cob, corn tortillas, tortilla chips, and cornbread. Yummmm.