Friday, November 20, 2009

Thursday Thinking—On Being Politically Correct

The Prince of Peace by Liz Lemon Swindle

I’ve been thinking about political correctness and who exactly set today’s cultural norm for what is considered politically correct and what is politically incorrect.

No one likes to be offended. Only a few like to offend. Only fools are offended when no offense is intended. In the quest of making sure no one is ever offended, we have adopted a new norm of political correctness.

The other day as I was reading in the New Testament I realized how Christ, who is unequivocally the most politically correct Being, would be considered politically incorrect in our society.

How did we arrive at today’s norm of political correctness? Who decided it? How do we get from being politically correct to being just plain correct? That's what I've been thinking about.


What have you been thinking about?

8 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

Well said. I remember President Faust saying that political correctness is false doctrine! I agree!

Kay Scott said...

How do we get from being politically correct to being just plain correct? I love this, Jane. Your observations are certainly correct. Love all your posts and want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I have to disagree with you. I believe that Christ was SO politically incorrect that, he was accepted in such a wonderful way.
An eye for an eye WAS politically correct. Kindness and understanding were NOT of the norm. If you steal, you do not get to keep your hand. Christ taught to love those that want to hurt you. And this was a new concept to world.
It makes me wonder, what can I do that is "politically incorrect", to help. Not hinder.
How can I be more like Christ?

(Am I way off base here? Maybe I missed your point...but you wanted to know what I was thinking!! LOL)
Love this post!

Kimberly said...

I think we lose some core values as a society when we try not to step on others toes. We try so hard not to hurt people when most of the time (not all) they're not doing what is right. If they get offended, they're probably not that close to the Spirit. We cannot afford to lower our standards for tolerance's sake. Do what is right! Then you'll never be wrong!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Yes, yes. Good point Jenny. That is exactly what I mean. Society (then and now) deems Him incorrect, but He is so perfectly correct. Thank you for pointing out the eye for an eye example.

Jill said...

Political correctness has gotten out of control and brain washed us all. Ugh!

Lucy said...

I think the point is to just be nice. If something offends someone (and people should be less offended. Really - save us all some trouble and realize no harm was meant) then I agree that we should be respectful of that. Like certain names that hurt races or ethnicity. I don't think just because that's how we think or how our parent's spoke, that it's o.k. to vocalize things that are hurtful.

BUT - we do all need to get over ourselves. Christ was called everything in the book, and he forgave them all.

michelle said...

How do we get from being politically correct to just plain correct? GOOD question! All I know is that when we model our behavior after the Savior's, we will be approaching just plain correct.