Sunday, January 24, 2010

52 Blessings—The Village

Photobucket

The Green’s are Ty’s host family. They feed him each Sunday, offer him their home every long weekend, play games with him, take him to the movies, and allow him the use of their car, washer, and dryer. They host his guests, set him up on dates, host him and his guests, advise him, keep him company, give him hour long rides to and from the airport, and include him in the things they do. They have invested heavily in Ty and are his family in every sense of the word; he loves them like his family.

The Phipps were Ty’s host family before the Green’s. Like the Green’s, the Phipps’s included him in their family. When Ty had his wisdom teeth pulled, Julie drove up to the Academy, retrieved him, and took him to their home to care for him, even though she was convalescing from foot surgery and couldn’t walk. When Julie knew they wouldn’t be at the academy when Ty returned this fall, she asked the Green’s to take care of Ty.

Other families have done the same for Cali, Abe, and Ande. Each one of our children has more than one adoptive family to call their own—families who watch over, provide opportunity, offer support, love, encouragement, and camaraderie.

I wish I were poetic. I wish I were articulate. I wish I could somehow convey to our Heavenly Father and these families how much I appreciate them in helping Calvin and me take care of our family. It is no small task to make a family and then to include others in that circle is generous indeed. I will forever be indebted to the Greens and all the other families in the village for rallying around and including our kids. What a blessing. What a blessing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing. When I was away at school I was lucky to have family in both towns that I went to school. Granted they were extended family and I had never met them, they took me in and I had thanksgiving, easter and family parties with them. A real blessing

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

It takes a village!

Marie said...

I had a meeting tonight with the nursery staff in our ward's primary,and I just couldn't stop thanking them for the tender thoughtful care they give to all the kids, but especially mine. Watching others take care of people you love, and do it so well, is so touching.

Susan said...

I felt that way when my boys were on their missions and they would have a family that they would just love to go visit all the time. Especially with Tyson, when he was in foreign countries, I very much appreciated those families that would help them feel a little loved. ;)

But it was also a little weird to me to go and meet these families and have them be telling me about my sons, like I didn't know them. And I felt like I was so missing out on things, because I didn't know the stories. Such a weird feeling!!

Jill said...

We could all use people like this in our lives, but as a mother I can understand the true gift this is and how they are being an instrument in the Lord's hands.

michelle said...

This is beautiful, Jane. I hope my kids find families like this!

Nikki said...

Wow. What an amazing blessing! I hope that I can be that family for someone.

Robin said...

I get to hear Whitney go on and on about how wonderful Ty is. She really thinks he is great. It makes the rest of us jealous that we don't have a cadet to spoil.

Julie said...

We were the lucky ones who got to have Ty (and by extension your family) in our lives. Whitney and I have already scheduled an arm wrestling match to see who gets him when we move back. I think I can take her! I guess we could share too...

Michelle said...

how wonderful to know that comeone is there looking out for your son - this type of friend is the basis for a lifetime of friendships

The Bead Lady said...

Jane,

You were far to generous in your posting. We feel blessed to have Ty temporarily part of our family. Thank you for raising such a fabulous son, he is such a great example to our kiddos.

Whitney