Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday Thinking—"It’s a Sociological Fact . . ."

Marjorie Hinckley said: “Oh, how (women) need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other.”

I’ve been thinking of that quote a lot this week:  

 


~When we went on a long walk down on the beach and then stopped at the bakery for a Danish on the climb back home.

~When we sat in the front room and worked on projects.  Cali sewed an apron. Grace worked on Clara’s scrapbook.  I cut and pasted a Christmas gift.  Sometimes we visited.  Sometimes we listened to music.  Once we listened to a talk on leadership and then replayed parts again and again to discuss them.  

~When we went to the temple.  Our first choice would have been to have our husbands by our sides, but there was an unmistakable strength that came from the three of us sitting side by side.  There was a warmth and resolve to lift each other’s burdens and care for each other.

~When we ordered red velvet cheese cake and lived on cold cereal, fresh fruit, and peanut butter sandwiches.

~When we jogged up a hill and Cali could see that gravity was going to suck me back into the ocean so she chanted, “You can do it.  You can do it.  You can do it” until we beat the force.

~When we went to the fabric store to buy fabric for a special sewing project and spent at least 30 minutes selecting buttons and lace that were just right.

I only wish Ande were here, because women need women.

8 comments:

Haley Krumblis said...

And I will be there soon! I will be there soon! We'll send Ryan out with Uncle Calvin so we can have WOMEN time!

Ande said...

I need YOU GUYS! I told Dad this blog was for me and after I read it out loud to him he said, "That wasn't about you." I said, "No it was FOR me." He said, "Huh. Good thing they got you in the last line." I assured him I was laced throughout. I wish I was with you guys for real though.

Deanna/Mimi said...

Amen to your subject. We are naturally nuturers and I think we carry that over into friendships. I am so thankful to be a daughter of God!! Beautiful posting. And so are you!

Jill said...

I couldn't agree more! I feel like this is what Creative Friday is all about for me, that time spent with Michelle is renewing for us in so many ways.

I love Ande's comment to this post!

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

We did need our women. That is what I am missing right now in Sacramento, but I am sure I will find someone to do something with soon. Grace looks so beautiful and it looks like you guys are having so much fun! She is so lucky to have such an amazing mother in law. I am sure missing her and your smiling faces!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

AMEN!

Donna Chapin said...

I love your post! I remember when Sister Hinchey made that statement, and totally agree with it. This last weekend was a great reminder that's what I needed. Thanks for coming and bringing your lovely daughters.

Julie said...

It is still amazing to me how true that statement is! We really do need each other. The men need us and we need them but we also need each other! Thanks for listening to me when I was there and being my friend when I needed you! Just having someone to give you a hug and say, "wow", was just what I needed.