Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday Thinking—The Missing Piece

The other day I was thinking about arrowhead hunting. Calvin loves to hunt for arrowheads and so do some of my brothers and sisters. I never much cared for it. While others walked among the sagebrush and along the creek beds looking for a piece of carved flint, I sat in the pickup or on a clump of grass and read a book. The idea of looking for something that might be there, but also just as well might not, seemed too discouraging. I don’t have a scraper or arrowhead to my name.

I drifted from thinking about arrowhead hunting to puzzles. I’ve never been a puzzler, either. I tried for awhile, but the idea that the piece I was looking for might not even be there soon left me feeling arrowhead-hunting overwhelmed. So even though the kids enjoy puzzles, I often sat on the couch near them and . . . read a book.

Two days after thinking about puzzles and arrowhead hunting, I saw this Mormon Message.


I may not be a great puzzler, but I like the idea that all the pieces are there and the Savior can help us put them together. The best is yet to come. (What do you want to bet the next time the kids do a puzzle I try and help? Arrowhead hunting? I think I'll still stick with the book.)

9 comments:

michelle said...

I really enjoy puzzles. I enjoyed this video, and I sure do like the way your mind works, Jane.

Deanna/Mimi said...

Beautiful. I loved the story about the man, the puzzle and Christ. I could not help but think about my mother as she would do home canning or peel potatoes or clean and prepare strawberries for jam. She always said, as she got to the last pear or potato or strawberry or whatever it was, the words: "Here is the one I was looking for." I loved it and now find myself saying the same thing. All of us at some time in our lives will find "the one piece we were looking for" and all will fit together in the total picture of life. Thanks for sharing.

Deidra said...

I think I might need to make a sign to remind me "The best is yet to come." What a beautiful thought.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Thank you for making me take a moment to reflect.
I am so thankful for all of my blessings...even the ones that don't look like blessings.
What a great message and reminder.

Tiffany Fackrell said...

ok, so this is honest truth...I didn't want to watch that video because well..I am grouchy today, and I knew if i watched it i would probably feel guitly and yadda yadda yadda. I don't know sometimes when I am grouchy i just want to stay that way, i know it makes no sense. ANYWAY, after coming back to your page at least 5 times I watched it...and REALLY i don't have cancer, i can walk with both legs, i already have the gospel, i have a hard working husband, and two cute kiddos that are trying to be so good...i could go on...but I think i might just have to pull up my boot straps, put a smile on my face and get to work, because THE BEST IS YET TO COME! and I don't wont to miss it in all of my grouchiness. so THANKS for sharing this today!

Emma J said...

Sorry about the pasta sauce, but what a great reminder! And an appetizer to Conference and all those great talks to come. Thanks.

melanie said...

The best is yet to come. What a blessing. I love this video too.

Penny said...

Blogged Hopped over from Jill's cute blog.

I recently saw this, it left a wonderful impression that maybe I might not be headed in the right directions. I love this story!

Samantha said...

What a coincidence. I haven't seen any of these new Mormon videos but i actually sat down the other day and watched this one. I think they are so great.

And I am a definite puzzler. So much so, that for a gift one year, we gave my Grandma Jones a charm necklace with a different charm representing each of her grandchildren. I was a puzzle piece! I really enjoy days when I get to sit down and catch up on your blog.