Sunday, October 9, 2011

52 Blessings – Favorite Day of the Week

I don't know who to credit for this picture, but it is beautiful

Sunday is my favorite day of the week.  I told Calvin so this afternoon as we were sitting down to dinner after coming home from church.  He said, “Really.”

I said, “Yup.  It is. Always has been.  Even as a kid.”

That sounded completely foreign to him.  For while he loves old time gospel music more than I do, I can assure you Sunday has never been his favorite day.  He’s reading a book on the couch behind me right now.  I just asked him to make sure that statement is correct and he answered in a punctuated tone of one being interrupted in the middle of an important gunfight, “I. don’t. know. Jane.  I don’t think about stuff like that.  (Pause) And I don’t think I shall start tonight.”  My bet is safe; Sunday is not his favorite day of the week because he even used the word shall.

Sunday was a happy day for me as a kid.  We cleaned our house really well on Saturday (hence my least favorite day of the week), so the house was especially organized and neat with our shoes polished and ready on Sunday morning.  Church was at 10:00 a.m. so the farmers could get their water changed and cows fed.  We were home by 1:00 p.m. and ate a big dinner.  Our home was probably happiest on Sunday because nearly everyone took a long nap in the afternoon; though sometimes a few of us would play Monopoly, Clue, or Masterpiece.  When everyone got up from their naps we popped popcorn (sometimes caramel, sometimes plain, often both).  Every now and then Lynn made a batch of fudge too.  Then we watched the movie on Wonderful World of Disney, followed by The Six Million Dollar Man.  (In the earlier days Bonanza was in the line up.)

When Calvin and I started our own family, our Sunday routine was pretty similar to my childhood’s, other than we didn’t watch much TV in the evenings.  Instead we played hide-and-go-seek in the summer and watched a movie in the winter.

Even with all of the kids gone now, our routine is the same.  We sleep in an extra hour, go to church, go to the cemetery, come home and eat dinner, take a nap, eat dessert, sometimes visit with friends who stop by, call the kids and/or write lengthy e-mails to them, watch a movie, or read a book.

I’m wise enough to know that going to church is the bedrock for my Sunday happiness, and I enjoy all the other events of the day that rest on that.  It really is as Joseph Addison said, “Sunday clears away the rust of the week.”

What do you most enjoy about Sundays?

What’s your favorite day of the week?

6 comments:

tina said...

Sundays are good. It's a little hectic in the mornings, but if I start early enough, the it's not too bad. :)

I got away from taking naps because I felt so unproductive. However, I have fallen back into taken naps and it's nice. The house isn't as clean, but what's more important here?!

Cali said...

I laughed and laughed reading this. My favorite part was hearing the conversation you and dad were having. I could hear it word for word with the tones of voice and everything. I love you both. This made me nostalgic for my wonderful life growing up; both the description of childhood and the conversation with dad. I love you mom and dad (I know you are the number one blog reader dad, so good chance you'll see this comment)

Alisa said...

Sunday is now back to being my favorite day of the week. Followed quickly by Friday.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Ever since Derek and I started to really plan for Sundays, they have been my favorite day of the week.

I love that the plan is to really not go anywhere, with the exception of church and a nice walk!

Ande said...

Like Cali I loved reading your conversation with Dad.

My favorite part of Sundays growing up was the hide and seek. Or the newspaper game with Dad.

It wasn't roast though.

Now my favorite parts of Sundays are sleeping in and coming home and Joe and I making dinner together and then sitting down and watching TV and reading for the evening.

I love your blog.

michelle said...

Oh, I love reading about your conversations with Calvin!

I think I would love Sundays more if I didn't spend all afternoon cooking. I shall have to remedy that.