Sunday, April 29, 2012

52 Blessings - Letters

Hands down.  Letters wins the blessings crown this week.  (Well, next to air, water, food, and love which kept me alive.)  I love letters.  It doesn't matter to me if they are hand-delivered, zip through internet lines, or come in the mail box; they're all words I can read again and again.  (By the way, did you know we don't send mail via ship anymore?  Phil, our postman, said so.  Also, my other favorite postman, Tim, retired on Friday.  He's the father of ten or eleven children and didn't hesitate to express his belief in God in the stories he told about his kids.  I will miss him . . . and his kids.)

They say that you know a man best by reading his personal correspondence.  The true man is revealed in his letters.  Thomas Jefferson wrote over 19,000 personal letters.   

This week we got some great letters. I got an e-mail from Ray and one from my sister Rachel.  I received e-mails from blog friends and copies of e-mails from missionaries serving throughout the world.  Joe and Ande sent us a postcard of Duke, the surfing legend.  Grace sent pictures of projects she completed.  This morning I opened the in-box to a detailed letter (and pictures) from Abe who is currently deployed to Afghanistan.  

can you tell which one is Abe?

All is quiet on the Cali front only because she's visiting the Ellsworth family this week, but I can't wait to hear about it soon.  Tonight or tomorrow we'll receive a weekly family e-mail from Joe and Ande, and Ty and Michelle.   

And then . . . there is this text Calvin sent a week or so ago:  "You are right ........ I was wrong ....... I apologize ..... 123."  I saved that one in my phone in case he needs to say it again soon.

I'm certain that is why I enjoy and appreciate the scriptures.  They remind me of letters.  Letters clear full of details signed, sealed, and delivered from Heavenly Father.  And you know what they say . . . you know a man best by reading his correspondence. 

8 comments:

Deanna/Mimi said...

You are so gifted in many ways. One of the ways is your ability to take a subject and turn it into a story, a sermon, a thought....many ways do you influence others. When I used to teach in church I always used objects to get a point acrossed but you have the gift to not only do that but to put it down in words...that I cannot do. I always look forward to your posts as I am one of your most ardent "students". Ever thought about writing a book? You should. Hugs.

Brenda Goodrich said...

Tim retired???? I'll miss him.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Sorry it has been so long Jane. I miss reading your blog and staying up to date with your family. We have been SO busy. Life is so full right now, but I can hardly complain. We have so many blessings surrounding us and we are so amazed at the delivery of them.
I hope you have a wonderful week.

Melinda said...

I really love the way you write your posts. Letter are so great to receive. This makes me want to go write a few. I have plenty to write.

Ande said...

Did you know Sunday nights are my favorite because of all the family emails we get? Letters are the best. And what a great way to describe the scriptures. I sure love you.

melanie said...

Tim with the mustache? He always joked about my brother having the first name Elder when I sent him packages during his mission. He was slower than cold tar but oh so friendly.

I love a good letter/email/text too. Youve sent me some of those, thank you.

A great new way to look at the scriptures.

michelle said...

Letters are definitely the best, and I love the way you describe them!

Lucy said...

Yes. You keep that text:)

I love letters too. Thank you for yours last week.