Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Homemaking Tip - The Spinner



We invested in a salad spinner a month ago.  My goodness!  What a difference.  No longer are the lettuce leaves soggy, or smashed from water-blotting with a dishtowel.  I only wish we would have invested in one years ago.

Even before the spinner, I have had good luck keeping lettuce fresh for a long time.  Here is how I do it.

If I pick it from the garden, I

1.  wash it
2.  spin it
3.  wrap it in a couple of paper towels
4.  put it in a bag
5.  squeeze all of the air from the bag
6.  close (or seal) the bag tightly

If I buy it from the store, I follow steps 3 through 6 to store it and then steps 1 and 2 when serving it.

If our vegetable drawer is too cold (but I don't want to adjust the refrigerator temperature and warm the milk), I put a dishtowel over the top of the vegetables to insulate them.


Do you have any make-your-lettuce-last-longer tricks?


1 comment:

Deidra said...

The first time I met my husband's parents we went to dinner at their house. I asked if I could help & my now mother-in-law pointed to a cupboard and asked me to get out the salad spinner. I had no idea what a salad spinner was! I felt so uncultured.
David and I found one identical to yours still in its packaging for $3 at D.I. Best deal ever!