Sunday, August 9, 2015

52 Blessings - A.b.u.n.d.a.n.c.e.


We have an abundance of everything in the garden this year.  An a.b.u.n.d.a.n.c.e.

We have so many tomatoes that nearly every bottle is full and now we're drying them.

Calvin slicing tomatoes for the food dehydrator.
The pile on the left are the ends and they don't dry well.
We feed them to the chickens and they lay an egg to say thank you.
The seeds on the right are for next year's planting.  

Storing food.  It's what squirrels, ants, and Mormons do to prepare for the future and it has been a great blessing in our lives. Our family has often depended on our stored food to help us weather grocery prices, a growing family, or even a reduced income.  It is also very satisfying to grow and preserve what you eat.

This video explains a little about the Church's storehouse.




Saving in times of abundance for leaner times has and is a great blessing in our lives.

5 comments:

melanie said...

Are you really out of bottles? Do you want some of mine? Canning season is on hold for a season or two (maybe even 10). Honest, I have a lot of jars just sitting here.

Kathrin said...

Hello! I've been following your blog for years. Thank you so much for the joy and inspiration your have brought me over the years! We had the missionaries over for dinner a couple of nights ago and one of them is from Moses Lake! I asked him if he happened to know you and he exclaimed, "Sister Payne is my seminary teacher! I love her!" He couldn't stop smiling the rest of the night and he asked me to write and tell you that Elder Jackson in the Pennsylvania Pittsburgh mission says hi.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh my goodness Kathrin! Thank you for writing and letting me know. (And thanks for reading it as well!)

Elder Jackson is one terrific man, isn't he? I remember one day asking the kids in seminary to think of someone who treats women with respect (I can't remember why the lesson called for that now, I just remember the response). One of the girls said, "Reid Jackson. He defends girls all the time and he treats every girl like she's important." Several of the girls nodded their head in agreement. Please tell him hello if you ever see him again.

If you ever want to fix him something he loves, fix him a peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwich. He ate one every day.

Thanks so much for writing and reading.

camery said...

Squirrels, ants, and Mormons?! Hahaha!!! Is it possible I've finally figured out how to comment from my phone? Yay!!

Kathrin said...


Yes, it's so great to have him serving in our ward. I'll be sure to make him his favorite sandwich very soon! Thanks for letting me know! :)