Tuesday, January 3, 2017

"A Man Wrapped Up in Himself Makes a Very Small Bundle"


30 Day Writing Challenge:

Write something that someone told you about yourself that you've never forgotten.


When I was in high school one of my sisters yelled, "You're selfish!" to me.

I was indignant.  I was mad. I was certain she was wrong.  She was the selfish one.

Our mom didn't function much while I was in high school so I carried a lot of the responsibilities for our home and younger siblings.  How dare my sister call me selfish.  Who did the dishes?  Who did most of the cooking?  Who cleaned the bathrooms?  Who read books to our littlest sister?  Who did . . . blah, blah, blah.

I still remember where I was when I came to realize my sister was absolutely right, I was selfish.  I was going through the motions of helping and serving, but I was mostly thinking of myself.  
 
I was braking to a stop at the highway three miles from home, still fuming over her comment, when the Book of Mormon scripture, "the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center" came into my mind.  It didn't matter if my sister called me selfish in frustration, anger, or selfishness, I was taking it far too hard to not be guilty of it.

I decided then and there I would be more thoughtful and giving without a motive.  It's 40 years later and I'm still working at thinking of others more and myself less.  I so hope my last act on earth is a kind one.

I'm grateful my sister gave me that very unwanted feedback.  Not only did it help me to see my selfishness then, but realizing that "the guilty taketh the truth to be hard" has helped me to discern other weaknesses I have.  If I get overly upset or defensive at someone's comments or correction, I know a true chord has been struck and changes need to be made.

And my sister?  She's a gem.  She is one of the most generous people I know.  She's been a great example.  


How about you?  What is something someone told you that you've never forgotten?


1 comment:

Going bananas said...

Pay the babysitter well, for she is taking care of your greatest treasure(s).