Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Monday Memories and Self-Portrait Tuesday—Bony Fingers

The other day I heard an old song on the radio, “Work your fingers to the bone, what do you get? Bony fingers. Bony fingers.” That song isn’t true. Over the years I have spent considerable time using my fingers and they are still plump—not as chunky as my toes, but definitely on the thickset side.


Finger Exercise One: Monday afternoon was a several-hour-mega-ironing session. Calvin mentioned a couple of days ago that he hadn’t seen a couple of his shirts for a month, I countered that surely it had only been a couple of weeks, but as I ironed my way to the bottom of the basket I found a shirt I haven’t worn since I went to see Rachel’s family, so that makes him the winner.



Finger Exercise Two: I had to sew a button on a vest and mend a tear in a shirt sleeve so they could be ironed. I pulled out my 25 year old sewing machine that was ancient even when it was new, yet seams fine for my sewing abilities. I learned to sew in 4-H on a curler bag, though my hair was too short for curlers and I had no need for a bag for curlers I could not wear. I had to rip out several seams on the little curler bag that held curlers for my hair that was too short for curlers. I got a red ribbon on the curler bag that I did not need. I hated that curler bag and sewing. But at least I got exercise for my fingers and learned to sew.

Little did I know that my primitive sewing skills and my little ancient sewing machine would be a golden hen. She has saved and made us more money than any other minor appliance in our home. Curtains, shirts, little-kid pants, a hundred rag dolls, hand-stitched wall hangings and pillows, a few quilt bindings, a couple of dresses, mending, and odds and ends projects have all added to her value. But . . . for all that ironing and sewing my fingers are still not bony.



Finger Exercise Three: Today I typed and typed and typed. My niece, Abby, wrote asking for activity ideas for an upcoming youth conference so I sent several. Today’s self-portrait challenge was to be taken giving a gift to a total stranger. My gift is the hope that some of those activity ideas will help some young man or young woman feel a part of a larger group, feel valued and make some new friends. But, still . . . for all that ironing and sewing and typing my fingers are still not bony.

10 comments:

Lyle and Mary: said...

First I have to ask what station do you listen to that would play a song like that??
Secondly, don't believe everything you hear. My dad used to always tell me (when there was something difficult to be done) "Go ahead, its good for you, it'll put hair on your chest." Fortunately he was wrong.
Boney fingers are scary looking. Be grateful for yours.

Deidra said...

I've never heard the boney fingers song (though it seems like something we would have heard in our family)! My dad used to say that he would work off our fingerprints during school breaks. He hasn't succeeded yet. Those fingers are resilient.

Cali said...

That picture of your hands made me nostalgic for you mom. It even made me wish I was there to help you with the chores.

Alisa said...

I am in the same boat as you with ironing- That is my next task of the day. Funny that Jay and Savanna will say the same thing about not seeing a certain item of clothing.
Just yesterday Savanna said "I am starting to worry about my tinkerbell shirt. I have not seen it in a long time."
Mostly my reply is ... if you really want it, then iron it. Otherwise you can wait until I get to the pile.
Love your sp-

Becky said...

I loved your curler bag story...I was so reluctant to pull my sewing machine out a few months ago but so far I have been glad I did.

Ironing is a whole other matter...I iron when I'm sewing and that is about it. Dryers get the wrinkles out just fine! And Jeff's dress shirts go the dry cleaners to be laundered because he likes the way they lightly starch them and he figures it is worth the few dollars a week (at most). Neither one of us likes to iron! :)

The hands of a mom are amazing...countless hours of dish-washing, laundry, tending sick children, and so much more...

Unknown said...

My first sewing experience was the good old, 4-H "popover skirt." Oh, it was a beauty with my pink legwarmers - it was. Thanks for the memories . . .

PS - Your hands are very capable, whether they look bony or plump.

Kathy’s Korner said...

Let's change that to "Bonnie fingers". Bonnie is the Scottish word for beautiful. Which is what your fingers are for all the loving and creative tasks that they do!!! (You've gotta love that!)

Elizabeth said...

I have not ironed since I left home at 17. Much to my mothers chagrin I am sure Lucky for me I settled in the land of thick humidity.
You gift strangers every time you write a post!

Julie said...

No wonder my fingers are chubby...I HATE to iron and I'm not so great at sewing anything but a straight line. I can paint up a storm though. I'd better get going and do something slimming for my fingers.

jenn said...

great post!
i dont iron and i dont sew! i pull the clothes out of the dryer right away and hang them up...oh well, what ever works, right?!?!?
cute 4-H curler bag story. and what a great gift to strangers!