Sunday, May 31, 2009

52 Blessings-Your Very Own Cheerleader

One of the happiest things to see last week was Abe having his very own cheerleader: Grace. She was so excited for him, attentive, encouraging, calm . . . and helpful.

I had read and listened to lots of parents talk about trying to find “their cadet” among the masses when attending formal functions at a service academy. I didn’t think I’d be the same, I thought I’d be content to know he was out there somewhere, but just as those parents said, each time we attended a function I searched for Abe (or Ty depending on the academy). Among thousands of young men with the same haircut, uniforms and similar stature, it’s nigh-near impossible to spot your own. Many times I’ve snatched a picture only to be told later by the boys that it wasn’t them. But Grace could find Abe anywhere. She said, “Watch for the way he walks.” Sure enough, that was the clue and she could spot him every. single. time. when the cadets were on the move.

Abe had wondered while attending West Point how he would ever meet someone to marry—free time away from the post was minimal to non-existent and the branch (church congregation) he attended was small and filled with military families on assignment and male cadets. Last summer he again wondered how or where he would ever meet someone, knowing that after graduation he would be transferred from post to post and then assigned to Iraq or Afghanistan. I kept telling him, “It only takes one girl. If the Lord can find a Rebecka for Isaac (biblical story in Genesis), He can find a girl for you.”


Photobucket

Three weeks later, he met Grace who had moved to the East coast to nanny for a family and consequently attended the West Point Branch. The timing couldn’t have been better. Abe got to be a part of an exciting year for Grace and Grace got to be a part of an exciting year for Abe. She’s the best cheerleader for Abe and we love and admire her; she's a great blessing.


Photobucket

19 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful couple! i hope and pray for a grace when my jack is venturing out into the world.

melanie said...

Oh I love it. What a great description of Grace, Abe's cheerleader.

I love, love her dress. Her name fits her quite well. I can tell without ever even meeting her.

Rebecca said...

Grace is lucky to have you as a mother in law cheering for her union with Abe. And Grace will find a fan club at Neighbor Jane Payne's corner if she ever needs a squad of cheerleaders! Your family keeps growing more beautiful! I loved the encouraging story of Rebekah too.

Puhlman said...

OH Jayne...they are just perfect for each other. Very cute couple. I have to say that I LOVE the way the Lord works. I love how he places certain people in our path and at the perfect time too. I LOVE YOUR BLOG.

Kathy’s Korner said...

I am so happy for Abe to have found Grace and vis versa. What a great mother in law you will be to her. Isn't that amazing that she knew his walk so well. The Lord really is incharge.

Noriko Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noriko Anderson said...

Grace is beautiful and so is her dress... that must have been from a ball... I got to go to a marine ball in hawaii, it's one thing to get all dressed up and feel beautiful but to go with a man in uniform is another!! how fun... tell Abe congrats on Grace and graduation! that is so wonderful...

Lucy said...

Grace is gorgeous! My heart always melts when I read about brand new couples. I love that Grace could find Abe...even before you. My, my. What a wonderful thing.

Lori said...

I love this post. It makes me happy for Abe, excited for Grace, and it give me HOPE. Can't wait to see the happy couple together. (Thumbs up on the dress as well!!!)

Moore Family said...

Oooh, fabulous dress!! And "watch for the way he walks"...loved that. Very cute.

Barb said...

I remember I could spot Ken anywhere from any distance on our college campus by his walk. I have wondered how they met and I liked hearing a little bit of their story.

Barb said...

Since the school production of "Little Women" is still fresh in my mind this post is reminding me of Amy's words:
"You don't need scores of suitors. You need only one... if he's the right one."

Becka said...

oh my goodness amazing dress and amazing couple. Congratulations! I hope to be in town when everyone is there!

Marie said...

Am I the only one to say this? Oh my, are they going to have beautiful children!

Tiffany Fackrell said...

Can I just add that she is BEAUTIFUL!! seriously everytime anything comes up about your family I am always like, oh man have you seen Abe's fiance, Grace, She is GORGEOUS!! And then i have to bring them to your blog just to prove my point!! ADORABLE couple!!!

hennchix said...

What a gorgeous couple! And that dress is fab! congrats to Abe on his graduation, and to both of them on their engagement.

Jill said...

What a great way to meet your future spouse! It's so romantic and faith-filled and sweet.

Chandra said...

Abe looks so sharp in his uniform. I'm grateful for his service to our country. His finace is such a lovely girl. What a beautiful couple they will make at the military balls.

michelle said...

She's gorgeous! And so lucky to be marrying into your family.

I LOVE the advice you gave to Abe about finding a wife. You are one of a kind, Jane.