Tuesday, May 26, 2009

SPT—Something Blue


We’ve had an incredible week and a half at West Point’s graduation. Using my daily blog topics I’ll cover some of the little behind-the-scene details every day and then do a big recap of the whole experience in Friday’s newsletter.

Photobucket


I admired Laurie the first day I saw her at a West Point parent’s meeting over six years ago. Laurie radiates and has such a comfortable, confident air that I love to be near her and have enjoyed close contact with her through the years. Abe and Nathaniel (Laurie and Gary’s son) were roommates this last semester.

After the graduation I went over to give Laurie a hug. West Point has been both of our security blankets—buying us time before we send our sons to war. While at West Point the boys were out of harm’s way, but now that is behind them and it is time for them to fulfill the duties for which they were trained. I’m blue in this picture because of the stripping of security as well as knowing that Laurie’s body has been invaded by cancer in the last six months and her future is uncertain. She is such a good friend to me. Laurie, on the other hand, is joyful and grateful her health allowed her to attend the graduation, for just last week she was so ill they didn’t think she’d be able to make the trip.

On days like the one above I wish my blue personality had more of Laurie’s yellow personality sprinkled in it.

9 comments:

Marie said...

This is such a beautiful picture. You are a brave mother, and a good friend. Loved it.

Unknown said...

Know this, my Neighbor Jane - you are a rainbow. While this may have been a blue day for you, I think it's great your friend was able to bless you with her yellowness. Do you know how many times the tables have been turned? Let your color of the day shine, whatever it may be.

Becky said...

What a stunning picture of two beautiful women!

The look in your eyes is absolutely heartbreaking, Jane...I love HeatherM's comment and agree completely.

Sending a little hug and yellow, Arizona sunshine your way :)

Michelle said...

Oh Jane - your tears made mine well up. You should be so proud of Abe and take pride in the son you have raised.

melanie said...

This is such a beautiful photo Jane. Your sweet, sad eyes. They made mine cry too. I love that you know how much you need her yellow. She needs your blue, to know how much you care. What a dear friendship!

Lori said...

Your eyes tell it all. Your always so thoughtful and sensitive and let everyone know you care!!! I wish for a little yellow at times as well.

Susan said...

No matter the color, you are beautiful.

Alisa said...

I can feel your emotion through this photo and your words. I agree with HeatherM- letting your color of the day shine- beautiful. You are you know.

michelle said...

This is so tender, Jane. Your eyes speak volumes.

I could use more yellow, too!