Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday Memories—Upper Hand

I loved growing up in a big family. With six sisters and three brothers there was always a friend and even if one was mad at you, you still had allies. In our family there was plenty of variety even though most things were done in mass—sandwiches, 4-H projects, pots of potatoes, costumes, pies (I never saw mom make less than 8 pies at a time). I was on the younger end and loved being part of a big family.

One thing, however, that was not insured in our big family was exclusive ownership. We shared dogs, horses, socks, pop, beds, cars, toys, bikes, even my best friend. Pretty much everything was everybody’s. But I had one thing that no one else had; I had a cousin who lived fairly close by who was only eight months older and liked to play with me. When we were young he was in charge because he was older don’t you know. However he had a telescope, a Great Dane and he knew how to safely cross streets at Grandma’s house, so I didn’t mind. I liked him being in charge, except when he was nine and I was still eight, or he was ten and I was still nine and he told me I was too young to do some things.

Casey has good-naturedly used the older card on me for years, but finally, finally the tables have turned. Casey and his wife, Mary Jan (who is a regal woman that writes beautifully like the Bronte sisters) came to Abe and Grace’s reception and, albeit too briefly, it was so good to see them. Now that Casey is forty-seven and pushing forty-eight, he is too old to do with ease so many of those things that sweet, young forty-six year olds like me can still do and I made sure to kindly point it out before he left.

7 comments:

Emma J said...

I'll have to make sure Casey sees this - it will make his day!

Cassidy said...

hahaha

Kathy’s Korner said...

WHAT FUN! Cousins our own age are hard to come by.

melanie said...

Ha ha ha! I have this all the time, I'm so much younger than anyone I went to school with. I hated it at 15 when everyone was driving but my mom always told me I'd love it when they were 50 and I was still 49. Maybe even sooner!

michelle said...

HA! Hilarious. I have a cousin my age, too, and it has always been a blessing. But maybe that's just because I'm six months older??

No less than 8 pies??! Holy cow. I feel tapped out when I make two.

donna said...

great post!

Jill said...

Ahhh, a most excellent turn of events! Happy Birthday today Jane!!!