Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thursday Thinking—To Be

I’m stalling on finishing the last few chapters of a wonderful book I’m reading. I know how it ends (it’s an historical book) and it isn’t going to be pretty . . .

We’ve had an incredible year with unthought-of opportunities. Sometimes I wonder if we have already used up all of our fun for the year . . .

Calvin keeps saying he’s aged. I remember his dad this age . . .

Summer is winding down, the potato vines are dying and schedules are picking up . . .

With that line of thinking, today I was extra glad to read: “We can’t predict all the struggles and storms in life, not even the ones just around the next corner, but as persons of faith and hope, we know . . . the best is yet to come.” (L. Tom Perry) Robert Browning was right, “The best is yet to be” and I should know that's true because we’re having slow-roasted brisket, homemade rolls, french fries and corn on the cob tonight and last night we only had hot dogs. But still, somehow, I needed to hear that today . . .

10 comments:

Jill said...

I wish I was having dinner at your house tonight! That sounds so great.

Your family has had a busy year of big events, so I can see thinking you may have used up all your fun for the year. It's a good thing it doesn't really work that way or we'd all be depressed after something fun happens.

Kim Sue said...

wonderful...always trying to "just be"

Nikki said...

I especially like the part of L. Tom Perry's quote that says, "not even the ones just around the corner, but as persons of faith and hope, we know... the best is yet to come." Thank you. I really REALLY needed to hear that today. Thank you.

jenny said...

Lovely words, well said.

michelle said...

I want to come eat dinner at your house, too! I love feeling like the best is yet to be.

Emma J said...

I needed to hear this today, too - and your hot dog-brisket example is making me think: maybe it's up to me to change the menu?

Cali said...

I loved the hot dog and brisket analogy. Nothing drives home the point of "the best is yet to come" like food; because it's always true... there's dessert.
Love, cali

Lyle and Mary: said...

You always dish up good food for thought as well as the belly N.J.

Tell Abe I am using him as a (good) example in my talk on Sunday!

Rebecca said...

I like the story of Eyring's father, being ill, weeding the wrong row of vegetation. After finding this out, he refuted his son's pity saying it wasn't for the plants he was weeding. Experience, existence, to be, to love. p.s. I really liked yesterdays e-mail. I can't even ask the grocer where to find pickles, fear only exists in our minds! thanks!

Becky said...

You are a constant inspiration to me--thanks for the great words of wisdom! I'm still mulling over the fabulous thoughts from your newsletter..

Hope dinner was fantastic!