Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday Thinking—God Bless Massachusetts

Do you remember in The Sound of Music when Frauline Maria is saying her prayers that first night before she goes to bed? She blesses all the children, but for the life of her can’t remember the name of child number five. Finally, after the thunder storm scares all the children out of their beds and into her bedroom, she realizes it is Kurt who she forgot so she looks heavenward and says, “Kurt. God bless Kurt.”

I use that line a lot in my head, substituting of-course because I don’t know Kurt.

Massachusetts. God bless Massachusetts. I watched the senatorial election this week in Massachusetts with great interest. All fall/winter I have wondered where our government leaders’ choices would take us forgetting all about Massachusetts’ emergency election and how that could change senate voting. This week I’ve been thinking about senator-elect Scott Brown’s comment when questioned by a debate moderator about filling “Teddy Kennedy’s seat.” Mr. Brown said, “With all due respect, it’s not the Kennedy’s seat, it’s not the Democrat’s seat, it’s the people’s seat.” I do believe he did his fellow Massachusetts’ans', Samuel Adams and cousin-in-law, Abigail Adams, proud in that sentence. Self-importance is such a shaky platform; I’m glad he feels a responsibility to represent his people not his own agenda.

I’ve also been thinking about green salads and what makes them good. We have a birthday dinner to attend tonight and I’m to bring the salad. Why is it that green salads prepared by others are always better than the ones I fix, even if I add the same ingredients? A mystery. Do you have that problem? I think I'll make a pistachio pudding salad instead. That's green.

What have you been thinking?

11 comments:

Puhlman said...

We watched him say that on Utube. It was GREAT. We are sooooooo happy he won. Amazing that this state chose a Republican. Don and I wanted to really cheer.

Hoping our country will stay intact after all the things it is being put through.

Praying and more praying for the USA.

Kim Sue said...

my new favorite salad topping....dried cranberries. I like them on a green salad, in asian slaw, broccoli salad, etc.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking the same as you - God Bless Massachusetts! I also find, even in myself, that self-importance is a shaky platform indeed. May I always remember so. I've taken to following recipes for salads, because I'm with you, my green salad is never as good as one someone else made. But, if I divert to Cornucopia Salad or Craisin Salad, I still enjoy my own creation.

Deidra said...

Massachusetts has gotten me really into politics again. I guess there is some hope that the Senate, designed to be slow and deliberate, will be slow and deliberate and enact laws that will bless our country, instead of getting all caught up in a frenzy.

Chris's aunt has a formula for green salads: greens, a nut, a dried fruit and a cheese. You can't go too wrong with that good stuff on top!

michelle said...

No comment on the politics.

I was going to say the exact thing that Deidra said about salads! That's my formula for a great salad as well.

Cali said...

NOOOOOOOO! Don't do the pistachio salad. They're expecting a green salad... do a real green salad. Or atleast I would be sad if you took the pistachio.

Hope this helps (wink),
Cali

Anonymous said...

This house was very excited that the election went the way it went and hope that he does represent the people well...it is about time they remember why they are there. ALL food prepared by someone else is better then prepared by myself. I have been on an asian salad kick though, they hit the spot!

Lucy said...

I wasn't even aware of this election until the day before when all of a sudden, it was all over the news. A little suspicious, if you ask me. Congratulations to senator Brown. Who would have thunk it?

I love green salads and have several that are favorites to bring. I love the combination of cheeses and nuts and sweet with a tangy dressing.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Wow, what an amazing week. I hope the people can continue to be heard and listened to.

I love hard boiled egg in a green salad. It makes even the most bland salad yummy!
I am with you. I like it when others make salad. I am not good when it comes to mixing up all of the ingredients. It just goes flat. :/

Jill said...

I didn't watch any of the Senate stuff this week, so I'm glad to read that he said that.

I hate making salads but really love eating salads made by others, and agree that cheese, nuts and fruit make salads great.

Michelle said...

I love the Sound of Music and it has lots of nuggets of wisdom that are useful. My dad regularly quotes "When God Closes a Door He Always Opens A Window"