Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Homemaking Tip—Caramel and Crystal

Grace is serving in our church young women’s organization. For tonight's activity they met at our home so she could share one of her favorite desserts and an activity with the girls.


Grace chose brownies topped with ice cream, caramel sauce, and crushed Oreos. This caramel sauce recipe is an old stand-by. It’s really good and really easy - a prerequisite for stand-by.



Caramel Sauce

½ pound butter (no substitutes)
1 cup brown sugar
8 oz. heavy cream
Rum flavoring (optional)

Bring all ingredients to a boil. Let boil one minute and then cool. Serve over apple cake, ice cream, broccoli, mashed potatoes, roast, crackers, pizza, spaghetti, or just eat it by the spoonful. 





For a favorite activity they painted each other's toenails. Calvin and I went out for the evening, but Megan was still here when we came home so she was willing to pose.



Grace and Megan

thank you google images

The suggestion to own a glass crystal nail file is as great a tip as the caramel sauce recipe.  Ande gave me one several years ago and it is still working well.  I credit it with helping me to break a nasty nail biting habit.

5 comments:

Jill said...

This sauce sounds sinfully delicious!

I have never heard of a crystal nail file before.

Jill said...

Happy Birthday Jane!

patsy said...

I am so happy you posted this carmel recipe!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU NEIGHBOR JANE!!
( I wish you were my real life neighbor & we could celebrate together)

Julie said...

Yum. I love caramel sauce and I love your pottery! I had forgotten about it but I love it as much as when I picked it out! Hope your birthday was wonderful!

michelle said...

I've never heard of a crystal nail file, either. But now I want one.

That recipe looks SO good. I will definitely try it.

Those young women are so lucky to have Grace as a leader!