Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Homemaking Tip – 25¢ Projects

Mother Nature went into labor all right.  I don’t know that she’s birthing anything iconic (but I thought each and every one of our kids was incredibly historic when they were born, so maybe she does too).  We had school today, but no mutual tonight.  

Here are a few projects I finished up today.  Each one cost less than 25¢ and are made from things you have on hand -- paper, dirt, string.  I thought you might appreciate the ideas:

Wraxing Paper


Remember when we used to shave crayons onto a sheet of waxed paper, and then cover it with another sheet of waxed paper, then iron the two sheets together and pretend they were stained glass windows?  Martha Stewart remembers and she suggested instead of crayon shavings that we cut shapes from tissue paper and put them in between the waxed paper instead.   It makes darling wrapping paper for baked goods. 

Here’s how to make wraxing paper:

  1. Lay a long sheet of paper towels on your cupboard or ironing board.
  2. Place a piece of waxed paper on top of the paper towel.
  3. Put tissue paper cutouts on top of the waxed paper, then place another piece of waxed paper on top.
  4. Place a long sheet of paper towels on top of the sandwiched waxed paper.
  5. With iron on low heat, fuse the papers together. 

Spring Fever


Another project was to cover empty tin cans with free vintage labels from www.justsomethingimade.com or scraps of scrapbooking paper.  

A week ago I filled the cans with leftover soil (from a re-potting project) and put a paperwhite bulb in each.  (You can see the green spears starting to peek through on two of them.)  Today I glued the paper on the outsides of the cans then tied them with baker’s twine.

These free pots look great in the kitchen windowsill and will be a fun valentine to give next month.  

Medicine Cabinet


Several weeks ago I painted the inside of an old bee box and glued (mod-podged) scrapbook paper to the back of it.  I left the outside of the box as is – peeling paint with an old metal band around it.  Calvin hung the box on the wall as a shelf in the bathroom.  Old canning jars filled with Epsom salt, swabs, cotton balls, and band-aids, are on the bottom shelf while washcloths and a plant are on the top.  Today’s project was to simply add the apothecary tags to the jars and “ladies must wear bloomers” sign to the top shelf – all courtesy of www.justsomethingimade.com freebies. 

And now it's time to go fix supper.  Calvin smoked a pork loin as Canadian bacon a few days ago so we'll have a few slices of it, and we have a pan of scalloped potatoes in the freezer from Christmas dinner.  What are you having?  "What's for dinner?" is one of my favorite conversation topics.

11 comments:

Cassidy said...

could you come decorate my house???

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I LOVE little fun projects! I am definitely going to do the tin pots! Can't wait!

We had Sloppy Joes! Nothing fancy, but the kids are full!

Tiffany Fackrell said...

my friend made us dinner. it was a really really yummy taco soup!

also where do you buy baker's twine? it probably isn't hard to find but i'm afraid i would be looking for hours in all the wrong places. ha!

Deidra said...

I love Martha's idea of crayon between wax paper, cut into heart and hanging from the window. But with the wraxing paper you don't have to worry about melting crayon bits on the ironing board cover (not that I've ever done that...).

We had chili, cornbread and honey butter for dinner tonight. Two of my sisters and I often have this conversation. That, or lunch, or snacks.

Grace said...

I LOVE all the projects! You have such good taste in things and make me want to craft!

We had papa johns for dinner :( (Abe won)

Brenda Goodrich said...

Jane, thanks again for all the meals you bring to BL and Gpa---they really appreciate the food and the visits, and I really appreciate that you care so much. We had pork roast with gravy, rice, and roasted veggies. Of course, some went into containers for the grandparents and the rest is going to be turned into BBQ pork sandwiches!

Cali said...

I think I need to come over and do crafty things with you.

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

I am with Cassidy!

Becky said...

You. are. BRILLIANT! I just finished excitedly calling to Jeff to tell him all about your neat, inexpensive project ideas! I am teaching a class at a Stake RS activity in March called "Gifts from the Heart of the Home" and it is all about giving gifts that cost $5 or less. I am so, so, so excited to share your ideas. Can you tell that I am practically bouncing on my chair and giddy? thank you, Jane!

michelle said...

I love that blog! She has so many cool printables.

I love that you made those stitched gift tags! I have printed them out, but haven't stitched them yet.

I love talking to my far away family and asking them what they're having for dinner.

I wondered if you had lots of snow! We still haven't had more than 1/2"! Strangest winter.

Melinda said...

Everything is so darn cute!! I can't wait to go and check out that site. I love free printables. Thanks for sharing.