Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Homemaking Tip - Hero Wall

Calvin and I have gone to two movies in the last week.  Not unprecedented, but not normal.  As we watched superhero preview after superhero preview, I thought No wonder kids are confused and feel helpless today . . . our heroes are superheros and if you can't spit webs, conduct electricity, or fly you can't solve the world's problems.

Now I don't know if that really is the case, but I do wish that we put more real life heroes in front of kids than imaginary ones.

My sister Rachel has what her family calls a Hero Wall.  Each person in the family has chosen someone that has qualities they admire and want to emulate.  Rachel's hero is Ulysses S. Grant and she can give you a passionate and heartfelt lesson on him and leave you feeling a kinship to him as well.

As you can see, the Ellsworth hero wall is as varied as its family members.  It is an effective way to teach with the eyes.


I like this simple definition of hero:  "A hero is a kind of person that others want to be like.  He helps them become better people.  They aren't always famous, sometimes they are just regular people, they don't have to brag or boast about themselves they just quietly do the things they should.  They follow Jesus."

Who would you hang on your hero wall?  I'd put Joan of Arc and Calvin's dad and Peter for starters.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oooo, love this idea and now I'm looking around the house trying to decide where we could put a hero wall. :-)

Some of my heroes: my Grandpa Jarman, Nephi, Sister Beck, and Abraham Lincoln.

Happy New Year!

Lucy said...

Umm...You? Seriously, I would like to be like you. I'd definitely put a picture of my mom and grandmother on there, Alma the younger, Simeon, and maybe Peggy Noonan because I want to write like her:)