Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesday Tried It - Curly's Bees

A couple of weeks ago when Ande was here we made lip balm from a pinterest recipe.  Ande changed the recipe just a bit (we didn't add honey because it makes the balm separate), but for the most part we followed the instructions as given.  Here is Ande with our finished product: 



I can't remember how many times we doubled the recipe.  I think we 15 x'd it in the end.

We had four or five different flavors.

After we poured them in the containers Ande wrapped them in washi tape.


The thing that made this project especially sweet was that Calvin still had some wax from his dad's bees out in the shop.  (Grandpa Payne died five years ago.) We used that beeswax to make the lip balm.  Ande wrote up a little card explaining:

Grandpa Payne – who was called Curly because of his bald head – kept honey bees for 30 years.  He hummed while he tended his bees and while he ate his toast with honey almost every morning.  He kept the wax for the next year’s frames for the bees to build their honeycomb . . . and because he never wasted anything.  We’ve put the wax to yet another use in making this lip balm just for you.

We added a picture of Grandpa Payne to the front and then Ande sent a little package to family members.  It was a satisfying project, especially because this is Grandpa Payne's birthday month.  
.

11 comments:

Ande said...

I really had a great time making these with you. I'm glad they turned out so cute. I love using mine.

Watson Family said...

Love it! What a wonderful way to honor his memory!

Alisa said...

I love everything about this! The note, Curly not wasting anything- then you two continuing the practice!

mommar said...

I loved getting mine in the mail!! Dad was an amazing man in every way, and I still miss him. Ande made my heart very happy that day and made me cry......but a good cry! Thanks to both of you for this special gift. Love you all

abe said...

We loved our reminder of Grandpa. We think of him playing "skin the cat" with Clara all the time. Thanks Mom and Ande.

Heather Williams said...

That is the coolest thing ever! Love that you did this, love the detail and love the story about Curly...i can almost feel the soothing sensation of that lip blam on my lips right now!

Rachel said...

HEY! Abe jogged my memory and I remember playing skin the cat too!! I was always so jealous that your kids had such a great grandpa to play with. This is a VERY cool project.

Jill said...

I love the look of the Washi tape on the jars, so cute! Where did you get the jars? I need a couple but don't know where to find them.

Becky said...

Love it! What a sweet gift to give. And like Jill, I would love to know where you found the adorable containers.

P.S. I miss having the time to stop by your blog more often...

Melinda said...

I love everything about this post, especially adding the picture of your grandpa. Where did you find the jars?

Lucy said...

If I could be a teensy bit like you, I'd be super pleased. What a great project!