Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tuesday Tried It - Bread Tab Toy



I pinned 10 Ways to Keep a Toddler Busy (without buying new toys) and my friend Melanie commented on the pin: "My brother Kyle made one similar to this that my kids loved. A baby food jar with a coin slot cut out of the metal lid.  He sanded it so it was smooth.  The kids used bread tabs to drop in and take out. So quiet for church."

The next time I was at Melanie's house I told her what a great idea I thought Kyle's toy was but there was no way I'd ever be able to gather enough bread tabs since I make much of our bread.

Melanie smiled and opened her bread drawer.  She had dozens of bread tabs.  She apologized for having so many and I told her we all have quirks: mine is wiping clean kitchen counters over and over and hers was collecting bread tabs.  She said, "But this is more than a quirk.  Look how many I have.  I just can't seem to throw them away."  We counted over 80 of them, so I had more than enough to come home and make four or five toy jars.

Levin is the only one that I've played this with,  but it has kept him quietly busy for ten or fifteen minutes each time I play it with him.
Obviously there is a choking hazard, so I play it with him.


You can just never have too many friends like Melanie . . . or bread tabs.

4 comments:

Cali said...

Hahaha. I'd like to see him TRY and swallow a bread tab. I like your version better than the wipes one... smaller and cuter

Watson Family said...

I just love friends like that, and blogs like yours, and great toys like this!

melanie said...

Oh my! For all the world to see. I have many more bread tags for you haha. I'm glad you're my friend even though I hoard bread tags. Wiping counters is much (much!) more useful.

Cali is witty, her comment made me laugh. Again.

Sara said...

Zane already has his, thanks to Kyle! I am patiently waiting until he is old enough to play with it.