Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tuesday Tried It - Molly Moon Knock-off



What a mess!

Sunday night as we were driving home from Idaho we hit a terrible lightening, wind, and rain storm about 100 miles from home.  It chased us all the way home.  We got stopped by a lightning fire, detoured because of a wreck, and detoured again because of downed power lines.  Nobody in the whole Basin had any power.  We got home and surveyed our damage in the dark.  We only lost a couple of trees, but one of our neighbors lost three trees and the other lost four.

Some of the farmers' fields were swept clean -- windrows of beans and hay were gone.  Our yard had debris and branches scattered everywhere and school was cancelled on Monday due to downed power lines.

The storm was beautiful and magnificent, however, and it knocked out some of the old, dead branches high in the trees.

Like Ma Ingalls always said, "There is no great loss without some small gain."




I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies today that flopped.  Flat and gooey.  They were also a mess.  I was in a bind because I had made them for another family's supper and what is supper without dessert? Disappointing.  That's what it is.  Disappointing.

I remembered some salted-caramel, ice-cream sandwiches that Joe bought from Molly Moon's.  The cookies they used were flat and gooey just like mine.  I pulled out the jar of caramel (because this time of year a jar of caramel is as much a staple in the fridge door as ketchup is) and spread a little on those flat cookies and then put a little slab of ice cream in between them and wrapped them up.  They were great, definitely in a race with Molly's.  They showcased those flopped cookies like they were made flat and gooey on purpose.  

Like I always say, "There's no great loss without some small gain."

6 comments:

Grace said...

I can't believe that storm! Abe and I are kind of jealous that we missed out. I'm glad there wasn't too much damage and that you guys made it home safe. Those cookies sound a.m.a.z.i.n.g. I love caramel so much and you by far make the best.

Jill said...

I'm so glad you made it home safely and that your losses were minimal! It's always disturbing and amazing when huge trees like that are uprooted! That's a loss for sure.

Your cookie ice cream sandwiches are a brilliant idea!

Cali said...

What did Pa Ingalls say? Wish I could hav eaten one of those ice cream sandwiches.

melanie said...

That storm was a doozy. I'm so glad you made it home safe and that Calvin was driving you! (I would've cried on the side of the road on that one for sure!)

Those ice cream sandwiches (and your caramel) sound delicious right now!

Alisa said...

Those cookies! I will have to remember to add caramel to our flops. Yum.

Ande said...

I have never seen a batch of your cookies flop. Like Cali, I wish I could have been there to eat them.