Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday Memories - What He Drives.


Tonight for family home evening we started spring clean-up in the yard.  Calvin sawed while I hauled, and I raked while he mowed.



I was cursing and blessing that new, orange lawnmower under my breath as I raked.  Cursing it because it cost so much and blessing it because it eats rocks for lunch.  And then . . . and then . . . and then I remembered this picture from our photo album.  Calvin with another red-orange machine . . .


Calvin's first car circa 1972

. . . I can't decide what I think is the funniest:  Calvin's skinny belt, plaid bell-bottom pants (are those cuffs, too?), frilly shirt, bow tie, or part down the middle of his hair.  All I know is that I keep giggling while I'm typing this post and seeing this picture.  Calvin is reading a book while sitting on the couch next to my chair.  Every time I laugh he says, "What?" and I laugh more.  Then he re-explains, "It was a nice car, Jane -- and that's a Butch-Cassidy-and-the-Sundance-Kid shirt, those were nice shirts -- that car had air conditioning, a cassette player, and white leather interior.  It was a sports car, Jane."

Well 42 years later, Calvin's not quite so sporty (he says I didn't meet him until after he'd been humbled in life) and he drives a lawnmower instead of a 240 Z.  And here's the crazy thing, that lawnmower cost $200 more than the car.

Of course 240 Z's don't eat rocks for lunch either.


(Jorden Jolley mentioned on Facebook that she's glad to see Calvin still likes to wear red plaid.  Ha.  I never even noticed that.  Those pants make so much more sense now!)

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Hahahahaha! This made me giggle too.

Ande said...

This is a great blog post. Like you I can't decide which part is best. The pictures, dad defending his shirt and car, or that the lawn mower cost more.

Jill said...

Ha, excellent flash back! I can't believe he ever wore such clothes.

mommar said...

Oh! I loved riding in that little sports car!!! He took such meticulous care of it too. He was (and still is) the most styling guy. I remember that outfit well--and he LOVED that shirt. Kind of sad that the mower cost more than the car did.....just sayin. Love this post and love the stylin' guy even more.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

You know, Charlotte, that's what Calvin keeps telling me, that he dressed classy. He said it stopped when we got married. A fatality of sharing a paycheck I guess.

I loved hearing your comments about Calvin and the car. You're a great sister.

Ty said...

This was a great post! I love both of the pictures of Dad.