Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday Memories - Graduates


Calvin - BYU Graduation 1983

Calvin and I celebrated our 32 wedding anniversary last week. When we met we were going to BYU, but I’ve already told you that story.  

However, what I didn’t tell you was that I was worried Calvin was still working towards a bachelor’s degree when he was 31 years old.  I worried that because he hadn't graduated at 25 it meant he had goofed off, hadn't taken life seriously, lacked ambition and maturity, or wouldn’t be able to provide for a family.

Thankfully I never threw the stone at Calvin, just in his general direction. I later learned he had served a two year church mission and then been drafted in the Army where he served four years. He couldn’t have graduated at 25 if he’d wanted to.

However, that still left seven years unaccounted for.  Most bachelor’s degrees require four years. I tossed a few more stones in his direction, before learning he’d put himself through school while married and with two children. That bought him another six years, but one year was still unaccounted for.  Calvin readily admitted he spent that year hunting rather than studying. I mentally tsked-tsked but kept my throwing arm still.

With most of the years wisely accounted for, I took the risk and married him . . . and felt a bit stupid that I thought he should have graduated earlier.

A year later when he walked across the stage to receive his diploma, several of his professors gave him a standing ovation of sorts.  They recognized what it took for him to get there.  I felt appropriately stupider.

Now, here we are a multitude of years later and I’m set to graduate with a bachelor’s degree from BYU in August. It has taken me thirty-four years to earn that bachelor’s degree. Thirty-four years.  (And Calvin, who was comparatively on the fast track, even paid for half of it.)  Start throwing stones Calvin. Start throwing stones.  I deserve every last one of them.

11 comments:

Katie said...

I see Abe in that photo! And a huge congratulations on your graduation! Good for you!

Rachel said...

One of my favorite posts ever!

Leslie said...

No throwing stones from me! I'd stand and give a standing ovation for both of your graduations and for your dedication to finishing! Now that I'm back in college for more, I realize just how lucky I was to be able to go to college when I was single and get most of it done before marriage, because I now know much harder going to school is while raising a family. I also think that we older non-traditional students probably appreciate the education and added knowledge more than most of our 20ish peers.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

stones HELL........i'm throwing boulders........cal

melanie said...

When I was reading your last paragraph I was hoping Calvin would leave a comment that would make me laugh. HE DID!

I am SO proud of you! Thank you for your example. You give me courage to get this done (hopefully in less than 34 years, ha).

Ande said...

I love this post. And I love Dad's comment. You guys are a funny pair. What an incredible feat for both of you.

Unknown said...

I think you both spent to many hours at the meat lab lol!!! Very proud for both of you...two awesome wonderful people! :)

Haley Krumblis said...

Yay!!!! This is SO exciting! We need to celebrate. I mean REALLY celebrate! I feel like reliving the scene in Anne of Avonlea where they yell, "Three cheers for Anne!" Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Congratulations, I am so proud of you!!!!! Be sure a WALK! (I didn't and now I wish I had).

Jill said...

Kudos to both of you!!

Marie said...

Congratulations on getting your degree! That is a big accomplishment. I so admire you for keeping with it. I think I may have let the ball drop if I was in your shoes.

Don't forget to post a picture of you with your diploma.