Saturday, March 28, 2009

Life in My World--Gate B 29

I'm not in Washington anymore.

Walking through an airport is like looking through a scrapbook. As I switched planes in Denver, Colorado memories of Ty washed my face. It probably doesn't help that I'm wearing his Air Force Academy jacket or that a woman walking towards me was wearing a AFA sweatshirt. I tried to stay focused on getting to Gate B 29. Grown women don't cry in the middle of changing planes.

Then I walked by the gate to Honolulu, Hawaii and I swear I heard a ukele and palm trees in the wind when I saw the man in dreadlocks and surfer shorts and it reminded me of college, and going to see Cali in college and swimming at the Hukilau beach with our family. I tried to stay focused on getting to Gate B 29. Grown women don't cry in the middle of changing planes.

The gate to Orange County had the same effect. Disneyland, Seaworld, teenagers, kids laughing. It vividly reminded me of Soaring over California and being misted by the orange blossoms with Calvin and the kids in the seats beside me. I tried to stay focused on getting to Gate B 29. Grown women don't cry in the middle of changing planes.

New York made me think of West Point's Plebe Parent Weekend with the whole family and Ring Weekend with Cali, Ray and Calvin. It made me wonder how Abe and Grace are today and our upcoming trip to Abe's graduation. I thought how it will be our last trip to West Point and lasts are usually sad. I tried to stay focused on getting to Gate B 29. Grown women don't cry in the middle of changing planes.

Even the gate to Washington D.C. brought a pang and I haven't walked the city since I was in high school; however, Abe asked Calvin and me to come back early to graduation so we could go down and see the city together. We weren't sure we could do it, but when I asked him what he wanted for a graduation gift, he paused and quietly said, "To go to D.C. with you and Dad and Grace." I tried to stay focused on getting to Gate B 29. Grown women don't cry in the middle of changing planes.

Then I walked past a bright yellow sign with a twirling tornado that said, "Tornado Shelter." It didn't bring one memory. I went straight to Gate B 29, found a seat and got excited that I'm going to Dallas/Fort Worth. I can't WAIT to attach a memory to it with my sister, Rachel, and her family.

15 comments:

Deidra said...

So many of your memories reminded me of my memories! And then there were some that didn't remind me of anything, but made me anxious for a lifetime more of memories.

Alisa said...

I was feeling all misty eyed then read "tornado shelter" and laughed right out loud! Now, that is one sign I know well!
I hope you have a wonderful visit!
I love Colorado Springs.

Tiffany Fackrell said...

man I must have some strong pregnancy hormones, because when I read Abe's response to you asking what he wanted for graduation the tears started rolling. aparently grown women don't cry while changing planes, but young mom's cry while reading about grown women trying not to cry while changing planes!!! I'm afraid I have turned into a basket case of emotions these days! I Hope you have fun in Texas making lots of memories. Safe travels to you!

Ande said...

Mom I loved this blog post! Even if I wasn't in it. I'll pretend you had to stop yourself from crying just when thinking of me. You don't need a gate to miss me huh? haha. Just kidding.

I'm glad you get to see Aunt Rachel's family. Have fun! I love you.

Kathy’s Korner said...

I love this post! You must have flown Frontier! That is what that terminal was like when I was there, without all the memories of the cities I had been to. You almost had me in tears, except I had to say, grown women don't cry while reading a friend's post about air terminals! :) You are one clever writer!

melanie said...

Oh I know you're going to have so much fun with Rachael! Love this post. Your writing always amazes me, it's always so clever!

Jess said...

I too LOVED this post!! Maybe it's because I cry all the time in airports??? You have convinced me to savor our family vacations more, make MORE incredible memories :) Hope you are having fun.

Jill said...

I think this is one of my very favorite posts from you!

Becky said...

Fantastic post! I love the way you write Jane...Have fun in Dallas--it's a great city! We love the aquarium....

P.S. And Ande's comment had made laughing out loud :)

Marie said...

Jane. You are a miracle. You walk through an airport and are filled with feelings of love. I walk through the airport and I feel lost, bewildered and rushed. No time for nostalgia;I'm sure I'll miss my flight.

Time for me to smell the roses a bit. Or read the destinations on the big screen anyway.

Amy said...

I love how you wrote this. A memory book, indeed. And - for the record - I think it's just fine for grown women to cry at airports. It's standard practice for me!

tina said...

Yeah, right . . . "grown women don't cry during changing planes" - I believe that as much as I belive that grown women don't cry while reading about how grown women don't cry during plane changes! :) it could be pregnancy hormones - i haven't had a good cry for a while! Yeah, that must be it! Thanks for sharing, Jane. It's always a pleasure, tears or no tears, reading your thoughts. Have a great time with Rachel and family.

Kyle said...

Grown men don't cry in the middle of reading a blog of a grown woman who doesn't cry in the middle of changing planes as she's reflecting on all the wonderful experiences of her life. Your comment about D.C. made me choke up as all the sweet memories of being a missionary there came back. I miss it too.

Unknown said...

What a blessing to have so many "cryable" moments. What a blessing. Enjoy your time with your sis!

Miller Family said...

What a great way to view an airport. All your memories are wonderful. I do hope that you NEVER have to experience a Tornado Shelter. Have fun visiting with your sister.