Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Homemaking Tip--Keep a Clean Hand

Once while riding the New York subway, I noticed that our daughter Cali kept one hand in her pocket. The rest of us fiercely clung to the poles with two hands to remain standing during the propelling take offs and sudden stops. But not Cali, one hand always stayed in her pocket while she gingerly hung on with the other. Later I mentioned I needed to wash my hands so we could eat, she pulled out her hand, waved it and said, “Not me. I always keep a clean hand. Always.”

(image from newsteamtexas.com)

With flu-season in full swing here are a four things your mother already taught you. I'm just her echo:

1) Wash your hands often and keep them away from your mouth, eyes, and nose—easier said than done for us nail-biters.

2) There is something about the flu season that makes us think we’re indispensable—we must go to work, we must go to the store, we must go to the meeting. If we get sick this season, it is best to remember that the world will keep spinning without us and that we can contribute most by not contaminating the well pool. Remember to stay home if you're not feeling well.

3) Carry antibacterial lotion in your purse or car. The advertisements for these products in the New York City subways are graphic—one shows a toilet with the caption, “There are four times as many germs at a public drinking fountain” written underneath. I’m interested to see what the comparison is on grocery cart handles. After being in public places, use the lotion until you can use soap and water.

4) Use your own pen at the grocery store, bank, or department store. Use a paper towel to turn off water faucets, pump paper towel dispensers and open doors in public restrooms after washing your hands. Or, wear the inexpensive stretch gloves while using pens, grocery carts, etc. and remove when you're back in your car or home.

For more information about the flu, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention publish general information on the web site www.cdc.gov/flu .

One last echo: keep a clean hand. Always.

Has H1N1 hit your family/area yet?

7 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

I love Cali's clean hand, how "handi".
1. I didn't remember that you are a nail-biter, so is Glenn.
2. "With out your pulling it the tide comes in".
3. The SCCA Center where Glenn gets his treatments has bottles of that stuff EVERYWHERE! I mean EVERYWHERE!
4. I love the "use your own pen" tip.

Seth's family has H1N1 and I am not sure about anyone else. They have done all of the above for ever! So much for H1N1 prevention, and Cancer prevention too, I might add.

You ask a simple question, you get a pagent! :)

Grace said...

I'm gonna go buy a pen and some sanitizer for my purse today! I'm always touching my face too.. I need to stop! Thanks for the good tips!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I really try to keep my hands away from my face while out.
One of the greatest medical discoveries.....washing your hands! Amazing.

Ande said...

I didn't follow any of those rules (except the hand sanitizer one) and got swine flu...So I believe you Mom.

michelle said...

Awesome story about Cali!

H1N1 is rampant in our neighborhood and ward back home. I heard that one of the student's host families has it here. We haven't had it, that we know of, but all of my kids have had a fever this week...

I'll never forget once when Jill was at my house and asked Lucas if he washed his hands (she's cool that way), and he answered that we didn't do that at our house! SHUDDER.

Alisa said...

Yep fine swine hit our home. Three out of six so far. (only one was confirmed, but the others had all the same symptoms)
I had stopped buying Lysol wipes a while back, but indulged a few weeks ago. I try and do a wipe down of door handles, banisters, etc. every night.
We have been diligent about keeping our kids home if they are sick. We are now at the point with one that we are already worrying about the number of days missed from school. And its only November! We still have so many more days left!
I am totally cracking up at Michelle's comment!

Jill said...

I feel like I'm always saying "Did you wash your hands?" I was like that before this crazy flu season, but am even worse now.