Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursday Thinking--Bullets

  • Ande is on her way home from college and she just called—1 ½ hours from home. I’ve got to get the cookie jar filled with chocolate chip cookies. She likes milk chocolate; Ty likes semi-sweet. Right? Or do I have them reversed? Is Ande the one that likes ham and beans? That will certainly be a disappointing pot if she’s not. The kids get so frustrated when I can’t remember their preferences. If they could only appreciate how many preferences I have to remember.

  • While discussing current events the other day and lamenting that the news is so heavily editorialized it's hard to discern truth, a friend asked me what news sources I listened to/read. I couldn’t rightly say. I mentioned two or three sources, but wasn’t satisfied with my answer. I have thought about her question the last few weeks, paying closer attention to my news sources and how my opinions are formulated. I discovered more sources than I originally thought and realized one predominate source was The Book of Mormon. I have found it is as Hugh Nibley said: “It (The Book of Mormon) is as modern as today’s newspaper; the situations it describes are those characteristic of our own generation.” Another news source I have appreciated is a monthly publication called Imprimis, a publication of Hillsdale College. Each month they address a current topic with experts around the nation. It’s free and informative. If you’re interested you can sign up at www.hillsdale.edu
Photobucket
(I had to soften it. I forgot how much courage it takes to post a picture of myself just for the posting.)
  • Lelly started Self-Portrait Tuesday’s (SPT) again this week. You’re right it’s not Tuesday, but lucky for me Tuesday and Thursday both start with "T". This week’s theme was “A Homecoming Party” celebrating SPT's return. Our challenge was to come as we are and photograph ourselves on a regular day, doing what we regularly do. Lucky for you I have to be in my Sunday best by 7:00 AM. SPT’s are a great way to document the little things in our lives. Everyone is welcome to join in on SPT's, just click on over to Lelly's for more information.

  • Tonight the author of The Giver, Lois Lowry, is coming to town. I've been thinking about this for weeks and am interested in what she has to say. I’m picking up a friend and we’re going to listen to her speak. I think an ice cream cone will be in order. Between ice cream and chocolate chip cookies I think I'd better forgo food for the day.

20 comments:

Cassidy said...

I wish I was coming home to your house. I LOVE your cookies!!! mmm.mmmm.mmmm. I always have to steal one when I'm there. Maybe this summer??? ;)

Kay Scott said...

Love your picture, Jane. Books and reading are my favorite thing to do, after family time. I recognize and have some of those same titles on my bookshelf. I also liked the little monster/troll? on that shelf. Would love to hear his story. (I am feeling a tiny part of your story by keeping Abe & Grace and you & Calvin on our prayer roll in our Mesa Temple. What an honor for me.)

Amy said...

I'm surprisingly giddy about having spt's back. I love the idea of blogging by bullet points. Sometimes that's all the sorting I can do.

Have fun with Ande!

Deanna/Mimi said...

You are such a beautiful woman Jane. Your face glows! You radiate goodness, knowledge and spiriuality. Thank you for your posts. They are a boost.

Deanna/Mimi said...

oh-oh, I did not get my "t" in spirituality. I will also add to my comment while I am at it...I want to say that your children and their husbands and wives know they are loved by you. One reason is evident in your posting and that is their calling for chocolate cookies and you so willing to make them to their liking. You are great!! More of us need to capture your precious ways and incorporate them into our lives. Hugs.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

The monster. Abe gave it to me after a trip to New York and visiting the giant Toys 'R Us. He said it reminded him of me reading to them.

The little framed pictures on the shelf are from my Ellsworth nieces and nephews.

The music box of the girl holding a sunflower is from my sister Chris.

No dust? That's courtesy of my niece Rachel who dusted our house when she came over for Easter. I said, "Oh my goodness. Do you know how long it has been since I have dusted?" She said, "Guessing from the heater in your bedroom I'd say a month." Nope. She was wrong. It had been six weeks. Revolting, I know.

Cali said...

OH MOOOOOOM!

I'm the one that hates ham and beans. I'm the one that likes semi-sweet chocolate chips. It isn't TY... IT'S MEEEE!

Cali

Cali said...

Ha ha, I didn't even notice the monster until it was mentioned by Kay. Did you also tell her that that monster's arm has fallen out and NO ONE can get it poped back in? I know because I even tried to hammer it back in because it bugs me so much... being out of joint and laying at his feet.

Cali

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Cali, your dad glued that arm into place now. No more one-armed wild-thing, he's a bonafide monster now.

And an update on the Lois Lowry presentation. I've slowly been losing momentum all afternoon, but didn't want to be the party-pooper. About five o'clock my friend called and said, "Are we still on or is enthusiasm waning?" I asked her what she thought and she said, "I asked you first." (Some things we learn in grade school benefit us for years and years, don't they?)

I said, "Okay. My enthusiasm is waning badly." She laughed and said, "Ohhhhhh good. I'm swamped and just . . ." I said, "I don't even care if you don't have a good excuse I'm just so glad you're too tired, too."

There's always wikipedia.

Jill said...

My mom never remembers any of me and my siblings preferences, but it's totally understandable to me.

I loved reading "The Giver" and would love to hear Lois Lawry speak.

Barb said...

I suffer bullet #1 all the time!.
I'm totally checking out that Hillsdale College. Just last night during family scripture I told the kids that what we read about happened exactly to a friend of mine last year.

Deidra said...

I've been feeling like I form most of my opinions lately based off situations from the Book of Mormon.

Today I lamented the fact that I can go to websites with "news" in the URL and have to click on a tab specifically for news once I'm there. Otherwise, I'm inundated with the latest celebrity gossip and sensational story. Even NPR hasn't been satisfying my need for news. (I know it's biased, but it makes for some good arguments with the radio-- and it makes me consider angles I usually wouldn't.)

Anonymous said...

Doggone it! I was counting on you and Shelly to give me a play-by-play, Lois Lowry style. I'm voting for you to take a nap the next time you've got to go out at night.

Sleep tight,
BRENDA

Lucy said...

I love Lois Lowry, but hate events like that so I probably would have been absent too.

You look lovely in your SPT, Miss Jane! And how wonderful to have Ande back for the summer.

Elizabeth said...

How fun to fill the cookie jar for a child coming home!

michelle said...

I totally understand not being able to keep everyone's preferences straight. And one of my favorite parts of your blog is the dialogue that occurs between family members in your comments, so cute.

I agree entirely about the news being so editorialized. It's hard to sort through the chaff.

Night outings always bring on dread and fatigue for me.

You do NOT want to know how long it's been since I dusted!

Marie said...

I'm loving Cali's comment! Tee hee. I married into a family of very picky and specific eaters, so whenever I have all his family over for a meal, I have a lot to remember!

Kathy’s Korner said...

I can't remember who like apple pie, or any pie. Thank heavens they all like the same kind of cc cookies and cinnamon rolls. Now that we have 6 in-law children, I only know the tastes of those that yell the loudest, or get the sickest! Oh bother!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

You look beautiful!

I don't know if I have what it takes to post me on a regular day. I usually don't get ready (do my hair, or make-up) unless I am leaving the house!!

Lori said...

Love LOVE love the picture of you. You look beautiful. Your smile makes me smile and today I needed one!!!!