Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday Memories—Kick ‘em With My Boots


Abe and Ande

I just kissed Abe good-bye and then stood at the window where our two blue servicemen stars hang and waved until he was gone. Yes, it was just as dramatic as that and if I were an actress instead of me, and had been standing at a clean window instead of ours with hard-water spots, and had some pretty music fading in the background, it might have made a good scene in a movie. But not as good a scene as the one that will be at the airport tomorrow morning when Grace kisses Abe good-bye.

Last night I heard Abe knock on Ande’s bedroom door to see if he could go in and visit with her. I imagine to give her counsel; he’s always been an Ande advocate. It reminded me of when Ande was a newborn and Abe held her on the couch. First he looked at her fingers with the new skin peeling and said, "She's rusting" and then he quietly whispered to her, “If anyone tries to hurt you I will kick ‘em with my boots.” He’s a good brother. He’s a good friend. He’s a good son. He’s a good husband. He’s a good dad.  And now he's a good soldier . . . with boots.

10 comments:

Tiffany Fackrell said...

oh man, I am glad he was able to spend some time at home. Kick em with your boots ABE!!!!

Unknown said...

You raise good kids, Janey Payney.

Ande said...

A-men! He is a good one. You did good Mom.

Becky said...

Coming to your blog cleans out my tear ducts...love your family and wish I knew them personally.

My heart still aches when I think about your post about the Boys' Club and Clara's beautiful coffin...there are few things more touching than real men, tough and gentle.

Deanna/Mimi said...

Your way with words...putting them together so perfectly...touches my heart and I feel that I know the Payne family inside and out...even though we have never met. Your influence is spreading far and wide Jane and that means you are a missionary...one who spreads wisdom, smiles and love around the world. I am honored to know you through the medium of the internet. Your family is amazing..but how can they be otherwise...look at their mom! Keep up your good works...we all need you in our lives.

Lynn said...

When Abe was little I used to want a hug when he said goodbye but he would never go for it. I used to tell him, "Kick or a hug . . ." letting him decide but he always took the kick. So Abe...GREAT BIG BOOT KICK TO YOU. I love you.

Aunt Lynn

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

This is too cute!!

Jill said...

You always have the best stories!

Julie said...

I hope the rest of Abe's tour goes as quickly and uneventfully as possible and the "hellos" at the other end are sweet. I love that he's such a great brother. I hope my boys aspire to such brotherly greatness. Sometimes I wonder.

michelle said...

I just love this. I agree wholeheartedly that you raise great kids. And I too hope that my boys aspire to such brotherly greatness!