Monday, May 9, 2011

Life in My World – Surprise, Surprise, Surprise. Which Has Now Turned Into a Monday Memory

Oh dear.  Stop.  Please don’t keep imagining.  I did it again.  Now I know exactly what Cali meant.

One day, shortly before she turned eight years old, we were discussing her birthday.  I explained that she would receive a really special birthday present from Grandpa and Grandma Payne – which was true; they always gave their grandchildren a set of scriptures on their eighth birthday.  Cali was excited to not only be getting presents, but a special one. Her birthday came and went and I forgot about our conversation until a few years later when I told her I had a surprise for her.  She said, “No surprises, Mom. Just tell me what it is; my imagination is always bigger than your surprises.” She continued, “Remember when I turned eight and you told me I was going to get a special surprise from Grandpa and Grandma?  I was so excited.  I thought and thought of what could be really special and I decided they must be getting me a swimming pool (Olympic-size of course, because that one, she doesn’t dream small).  I knew a swimming pool would be a really special surprise.  Can you imagine my disappointment when I opened a box with scriptures in it instead?  Very No surprises for me Mom, your surprises just can’t match my imagination.”

I’ve done it again.  I told you I had a third surprise and now after just getting off the phone with a friend who called with great enthusiasm, “What is it?!  I’ve been wondering.  What is it?!”  And having two friends ask me at church yesterday what it was, I realize my surprise can never match my good readers’ imagination any more than it could match Cali’s.  I’m almost embarrassed to show it now.  I think I’d better try and think up a new surprise.  Anybody got a swimming pool they want to give away?

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Bwahahah. I know what it is, and I can't WAIT to see the color. (Will this help ease the expectation?) I'm also wondering what you fed them for lunch today...

Cali said...

What? How did Aunt Rachel know. I didn't even know that's what it was. I CANNOT wait to see it either. I'm also wondering what you fed them today.

Cali

Mama Tales said...

Honestly I did suspect.....I can't wait to see if I'm right!

Tiffany Fackrell said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH would you just tell us already?!!!!!

"your killing me smalls!"

Michelle said...

Ok seriously we are all going to be surprised when you finally do share it not matter what it is as you are tormenting us! I check your blog a couple times a day now waiting!

hennchix said...

"You're killin' me Mikey! you're killin' me!!"

Deidra said...

I've thought,'"You're killing me, Smalls!" a few times myself in regards to your surprises! I'll try to keep my expectations low, but I still can't wait to see!

michelle said...

No worries. It's all good!

Marie said...

You still haven't told us!

Rachel's comment is very cryptic. Something with multiple colour choices. New car? New paint for the house? New press-on nails? Let it out!

michelle said...

I love this. You crack me up, Jane.