Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday Memories - My Grandma Rode a Greyhound



I only saw my grandma wear pants once or twice and they were the billowing kind more like a skirt with a seam sewn up the middle. Grandma said a woman of her size and age shouldn't wear pants. Where she got that notion I don't know, but it was hers; however Grandma never said a woman shouldn't ride a Greyhound.

After Grandpa George died, Grandma Erma's mode of intra- and inter- state travel was the Greyhound. There's a picture somewhere (even if only in my memory) of Grandma standing in a head scarf and a blue polyester skirt in front of a bus. It was often my job to drive to town and pick her up at the bus depot and she'd tell me all about the interesting people she had met on the way home.


I've come full circle.  This afternoon I rode the Greyhound over to Seattle to babysit Levin for a few days, only I didn't wear polyester.

6 comments:

Jill said...

How was the ride? Were you surrounded by interesting characters?

Kathy’s Korner said...

I rode a greyhound several time. This post reminds me of my last and most famous ride. Thanks for the reminder and an idea for a post...my mind was a blank!

Melinda said...

I would love to hear the stories from your bus ride. I know my mom has been on a grey hound once. She came up north. She was really upset at my dad for making her ride it but he had bought my van from me to surprise her with (something she really wanted) and he couldn't bring her up. So when I picked her up from the station, I handed her the keys and said here, you drive your car she was floored. It was fun to help surprise her and grateful she wanted my van because we had to get a bigger car, Ryan was on the way.

Deidra said...

I've only ridden a Greyhound from DC-NYC, straight shot. I can't imagine riding one that stops in every small town along the way. I'm sure it's interesting.

I think grandmas now are so much different from older grandmas. At least in comparing my mom to her mom. Maybe it's my age, but grandmas seem so much cooler and younger now!

Ande said...

You make me laugh Mom. You should have worn polyester...just for old time's sake...but then you might have smelled (polyester ALWAYS smells). I'm so glad you came.

michelle said...

I've only ridden a greyhound once, from Philadelphia back to Pittsburgh to visit friends (we moved right before my senior year).