Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thursday Thinking - It Makes a Difference


"Your donation makes a difference."

That's what the blood bank always says in their e-mails. They also say “come save lives," and “your support means families get to spend more time together, laugh more, and create more memories."

They beg for blood.

No doubt this is all true, for blood does keep a heart pumping and a life living. I'm happy to share, ‘tis easy to make more.

Being a mother and making a good home to raise children in takes a lot of blood;  it also takes sweat and tears, and that’s what I’ve been thinking about this week.

All of our girls are now mothers in the thick of mothering. Some days they sound overwhelmed, exhausted, inadequate, and discouraged. Other days they sound confident and full-of-purpose, deeply satisfied and so pleased. Their particular heartaches and thrills are as unique to them as their children are.  I can appreciate the gamut of emotions that comes from being a mother.  Because I’m not in the middle of changing diapers or fixing food that toddlers can and will eat, or worrying about a sullen or withdrawn teenager, I have encouragement to share ('tis easy to make more when you're on the sidelines):

To Cali, Grace, Michelle, Ande . . . and all mothers, “Please keep going. Your donation makes a difference. You're saving generations.  That takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.  It can be joyful, but sometimes it just feels like a duty to be a strong mother and make a good home.   Even though it is a heavy responsibility, please don't get discouraged. What you're doing is so very valuable.  I beg you to understand that what you're doing is making a difference."

Ty made this frame and mat for me for Mother's Day.  I love how it makes me feel when I see it.
It reminds me every day the privilege of being a mother.



7 comments:

Tiffany Fackrell said...

thank you

Michelle said...

Ditto to Tiffany.

melanie said...

I don't know of a mother anywhere that can't use this encouragement . Not one. Your sideline position makes a difference too. Thank you.

Jill said...

Bless you Jane!

Rachel said...

Thanks for the pep talk! Some days are definitely more discouraging than others. But some days are definitely more encouraging than others!

Ande said...

You're a wonderful cheerleader and I needed it today. Thank you. You're a great mom. The best, even.

Becky said...

Thank you! I wish I could bottle you up and take you with me. :-)