Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tuesday Tried It - It Ain't Shower Power, But It Works



I told you once that I've been looking for a shower cleaning solution ever since they took Shower Power off the market.

I found a concoction on Pinterest that holds promise.

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Dawn dishwashing soap
2 Tbsp baking soda  (it gives that little bit of grit you need to scrub soap scum)

I've used this recipe three times now and have been pleased with it each time.  However, it doesn't combat mildew so I still have to spray diluted Clorox on mildew susceptible areas.  I still like this homemade recipe better than any commercial cleaner tried since Shower Power.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We use a squirt bottle filled with half vinegar and half Dawn dish soap, it does a really good job but we are prone to mildew too so sometimes we use a bleachy cleaner. I just wish vinegar smelled better!

Melinda said...

I'll have to check this out. It looks pretty in the bowl!

Kate said...

http://www.buyshowerpower.com/products/shower-power

Is this the stuff you are talking about? Hope it works for you!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Yes Kate! That's it! Thank you. I didn't look in the right place.

Jill, I see a lot of people that infuse their vinegar with orange peels to improve the smell. I've thought of trying it, but haven't yet.

Amie said...

I've used this recipe as well. I think consistency is my problem. Do I really have to clean A.L.L. the time. Darn it.

I didn't know shower power was off the market (or fabulous) I think I've seen it at Walmart. I will report back.

I use a lot of vinegar, sometimes I squirt bottled lemon juice in it for the smell. The vinegar smell doesn't last long so usually I just tough it out.

Michelle said...

I found this same recipe when I googled "DIY carpet shampoo." Looks like we've got a catch-all winner.