Thursday, October 2, 2014

It said . . . Charity Never Faileth




Today The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints uploaded another segment to the Bible Video collection.  I've mentioned several times how much I enjoy these.  By speaking the words while visually showing the situation, they've helped me to understand Bible passages more clearly.  As I watched the one today I remembered an incident when our kids were little.

Two of our children kept picking at each other and arguing over little things.  One day on the way home from church they were at it again.  I thought, "Good heavens, we just spent the last three hours in training to live like Jesus and we didn't learn one thing."  When I pulled into the garage I told the two fighters to meet me in my bedroom (Calvin was still at meetings at the church).  Only really important things were discussed in our bedroom and they knew they were in trouble.  I prepared my sermon as they ran ahead of me.

They met me on the bed.  I looked at one and pointed my finger at him and said, "You have a quick ability to learn and retain knowledge.  It is a great gift.  It has helped you and will continue to help you in life."  Then I turned my wagging finger to the other and said, "You have the gift of faith.  You trust God completely and have full confidence He will help you in any situation.  It is a great gift."

I opened my scriptures and referred to the passage, ". . . though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."  I was just getting warmed up.  My tone got meaner and my voice got louder and I asked, "Do you get that?  Do. you. get. that.?  If you don't have charity, you're nothing. N.o.t.h.i.n.g.  NOTHING!  Doesn't matter how great your other gifts are.  If you don't have charity you're nothing."  I was practically bible thumping as I finished and felt fully justified, and maybe even noble, as I did it.  It was teaching at my ugliest.

I told them to go get their clothes changed and get ready for dinner and to remember what I said.

The irony of my not teaching them with a lick of charity didn't occur to me until much, much later when I repeated the incident to someone.  As I listened to Paul deliver the message in this video, I got it again. Charity. never. faileth.   Never.  And though I may fail in my attempts to be it, I'd better never give up seeking for it.




(This post is part of a 31 Day Writing Challenge hosted by Myquillyn Smith  To see other posts in the series, click here)

No comments: