Sunday, October 15, 2017

Life-Hack #162


Even back when they were just called "tips" I loved life-hacks. In fact, "Housekeeping Tips" is the book I chose to take to the hospital to read while I was in labor.  In between contractions, I read new ideas for removing stains from counter tops and organizing kitchen cupboards.

A life-hack I recently learned is how to chill a drink (say a fruit smoothie).  Wrap the cup in a wet paper towel and place it in the freezer for ten-fifteen minutes.  The drink chills quickly.

But, the best life-hack I've ever learned is found in 1 Nephi 16:2 ". . . the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center."  

When I was in high school (and the oldest girl at home), my mother quit functioning.  Day after day she lay in bed, reading novels or sleeping.  It was down-right depressing.  There were still four or five of us kids at home and much of the homekeeping, cooking, and care of my younger brother and sisters became my responsibility.  I was active in school, church, athletics, and service opportunities and the load felt heavy.  Very heavy.  While I learned a lot of valuable skills during these years, I was frustrated and easily peeved.

One day an older sister who was temporarily home said, "Do you know what your problem is?  You're selfish.  That's what the problem is."

I saw red.  I was so angry.  I mentally ticked off every thing I was doing to take care of hearth and home.  I was certain if she helped more she'd see it wasn't me that was the problem.  I rationalized no selfish person would do what I was doing.

And then this phrase " . . . the guilty taketh the truth to be hard . . ." played in my heart and head.  I argued with its logic, but I knew that my anger signaled my guilt.  It took me time, but I came to realize that while I may have been doing a whole lot of things, I wasn't doing them for the right reason or with a good attitude.  I felt sorry for myself and resentful of others and the situation.  The circumstances never did change, but I like to think I did. That day I learned an important life-hack that I will need my whole life.

No comments: