Monday, October 16, 2017

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go." — Dr. Seuss



Recently a colleague said his son builds bridges for a living.  Knowing his son has a baby, I said, “Would you like a children’s book recommendation for your grandchild?"

He said, "Yes!  I'm always looking for good books."

I replied, "Iggy Peck Architect by Andrea Beaty.  Rosie Revere, Engineer, by the same author is a great one, too.”

I love children's books and nothing makes me happier than seeing our children read to their children and our grandchildren read to each other.  

Ezra (2) reading
The Big Hungry Bear and the Red, Ripe Strawberry 
to Winnie (1)

Cali reading Diary of the Worm to Atlas, Henry, and Levin

Abe reading to Hazel

Grandpa Calvin and Grandma Jane reading to Afton, Eliza, and Kathryn at the Page's home.


I often share this couplet because I really do believe it:  Richer than I you can never be, for I had a mother/father who read to me.  (Strickland Gillilan)

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a reader.  Reading levels the playing field.

If you have any good books you like, do tell!


2 comments:

Deidra said...

Don’t forget Ada Twist, Scientist. (Rosie is my favorite, though.) I love the Bear books by Karma Wilson. Bear Says Thanks is my favorite, especially this time of year. And Crankenstein by Samantha Berger makes me laugh.

I really miss our children’s librarian, Miss Polly, from Indiana. She gave the best recommendations.

Millie has moved swiftly into chapter books. My how time flies. The three My Father’s Dragon books are great read aloud.

Moses Lake Temple Project said...

Thank you Deidra! I'll check these out. You're a great friend.