Saturday, October 21, 2017

We lived after the manner of happiness . . .


In the Book of Mormon, Nephi listed several of the activities (2 Nephi 5) that he and his people were doing and summed up their lives with “...(we) lived after the manner of happiness.” (2 Nephi 5:27)

This is Nephi’s outlook even though he and his family were told to “...flee into the wilderness...” and start a new community to save their lives. They weren't popular or safe.

I love Nephi’s list. I agree with Nephi’s list. I want to share Nephi’s list.  I think it's useful to anyone that wants to incorporate more happiness into their lives.



For the next few weeks, I'll post Nephi's insights along with a comment and picture about how that behavior has also brought me happiness.

Ray and Cali and family were here visiting when Inman was a newborn. 
He was slipping in weight and we needed an accurate ounce to ounce weighing.
We made the most of what we had -- a large bowl and a kitchen scale.
(Yes, you're right, he does look like an Anne Geddes fail.) 


Make the most of what I have.

2 Nephi 5:16  And I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon’s temple. But the manner of the construction was like unto the temple of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine.


When I make the most of what I have rather than mourning or coveting something that I don't have, I feel a satisfaction and happiness that goes to my core.  I know this is true not only with "things," but with talents.  When I give the Lord what I do have rather than worrying that what I have to give isn't enough or very good, I find He multiplies my offering like He did the loaves and fishes when He fed the multitudes (Matthew 14:19) and can do wonders with what I gave (Joshua 3:5) and make it better than I offered.


1 comment:

Grandma LWH said...

So glad to see you writing again, or maybe I just didn't see them. Your insights are always so uplifting & restoring. Thank you.