Tuesday, October 31, 2017

We lived after the manner of happiness . . .


In the Book of Mormon, Nephi listed several of the activities (2 Nephi 5) that he and his people were doing and summed up their lives with “...(we) lived after the manner of happiness.” (2 Nephi 5:27)

This is Nephi’s outlook even though he and his family were told to “...flee into the wilderness...” and start a new community to save their lives. They weren't popular or safe.

I love Nephi’s list. I agree with Nephi’s list. I want to share Nephi’s list. I think it's useful to anyone that wants to incorporate more happiness into their lives.

For the next few weeks, I'll post Nephi's insights along with a comment and picture about how that behavior has also brought me happiness.



Multiply

2 Nephi 5:13  And it came to pass that we began to prosper exceedingly, and to multiply in the land.


Like you, our family means everything to Calvin and me.  Knowing that the family is central and so very important to our Heavenly Father brings to me a sense of solemnity and reverence about marriage and child bearing/rearing.

Our happiest memories come from family moments -- most often simple and routine events.

The newest member of our family is Inman Ray Follett.  He was born in August to Ray and Cali.




When Ray called to say Inman was born, I felt a feeling of celebration -- another baby had come to earth to experience the wonder of living far away from where we came.  Levin and Atlas, Inman's older brothers, felt it too.  They were riding their bikes on the family driveway when they heard the news.  I watched them cheer and holler, "Yay!  Yay!  Ya! It's a boy!  Let's celebrate!  We've got another brother!" for at least ten minutes.

Creating a family and being a wife, mother, and grandmother brings me lots and lots of happiness. Even amidst the sad and difficult times, knowing that I am a part of a family -- a bigger piece, a bigger plan -- gives me the desire to keep working to make things better, happier.

I love this familiar video.  Knowing that God loves being my Father, just like I love being a mother and grandmother, gives me a feeling of being wanted that soothes the deepest aching of my soul.




No comments: