Friday, November 10, 2017

We lived after the manner of happiness . . .


In the Book of Mormon, Nephi listed several of the activities (2 Nephi 5) that he and his people were doing and summed up their lives with “...(we) lived after the manner of happiness.” (2 Nephi 5:27)

This is Nephi’s outlook even though he and his family were told to “...flee into the wilderness...” and start a new community to save their lives. They weren't popular or safe.

I love Nephi’s list. I agree with Nephi’s list. I want to share Nephi’s list. I think it's useful to anyone that wants to incorporate more happiness into their lives.

For the next few weeks, I'll post Nephi's insights along with a comment and picture about how that behavior has also brought me happiness.


Calvin and Ty butchering a hog two weekends ago

Calvin teaching our nephew Jake and neighbors, Rowdy, Raef, and Ryder
how to cut up a side of pork.

Calvin teaching our neighbor Britney how to make and bag sausage

homemade sausage pizza

homemade Canadian bacon pizza


Industry and preparedness

2 Nephi 5:17  And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did cause my people to be industrious, and to labor with their hands.

Industry

There is a deep feeling of satisfaction that comes from producing our own food.  Once it's on the shelf or in the freezer, the work and inconvenience is soon forgotten. We find happiness in growing and preparing food and sharing the food and know-how with others.


Preparedness

2 Nephi 5:14  And I, Nephi, did take the sword of Laban, and after the manner of it did make many swords, lest by any means the people who were now called Lamanites should come upon us and destroy us, for I knew their hatred towards me and my children, and those that were called my people.

The cousin to industry, preparedness brings peace and stills fear.  One way we like to prepare for uncertainty is to keep our shelves stocked with food.  By taking advantage of the Fall grocery sales (butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, shortening, oil, canned goods) we are able to buy more food for less money.  Knowing we have 30 bags of chocolate chips will help me weather a crises ;0)


No comments: