Friday, November 5, 2010

Well Fed—Betty Lou


I get to see Betty Lou once a week. Whereas she once traveled the world, her health has slipped some in the last year, so she spends much of her day reading in this chair. Because her eyesight is dimming, hand sewing and smocking are no longer options. Even reading is an effort. Sometimes Betty Lou and I read the same book and discuss it; other times we just visit. Sometimes I sit on a footstool at her feet; other times on the sofa settee. Always our time is enjoyable. Betty Lou has cultivated patience through the years, and consequently gained much wisdom. I benefit from both, her example of patience and wisdom. A few weeks ago she suggested, “Let go and let God.” It resonated and reminded me of the scripture written on the soffit above our kitchen sink: “Be still and know that I am God” (which certainly suggests I’d been too busy rooting around for more apples instead of looking up).

I marvel at Betty Lou’s remarkable ability to stay happy and cheerful in her chair. Once, last year while she spent several months in the rest home, I asked her how she stayed so positive after weaving my way through the halls of lonely and sad residents. She raised her eyebrows and said, “I pretend I’m in a spa. They prepare my food and turn down my bed. I have people who help me exercise and someone assigned to do programs. I don’t do any housework, or even make my bed. They even help me shower. I just read. Pretending I’m in a spa is the way I do it.” That is patience . . . and imagination.

I wish everyone had a Betty Lou.

9 comments:

Deidra said...

What a good example of perspective and choosing to see things in a good light. That's truly a gift, and such a blessing to those around her.

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I love Betty Lou!!! I grew up in the same ward with her family. She always has always been "REAL". I like "REAL" people. I will remember the Spa thought...oh, it is so about ATTITUDE...it is of our picking!!!

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

I love Betty Lou. I remember going to her house often when I was little. She was always trying to get Claire and I to do some small tasks so she could give us a dollar or two or even just a treat. But my favorite memories of her are how much she dressed up on Halloween when we would come trick or treat. Her house was one of my very favorites. I am sure she truly appreciates your visits.

Tiffany Fackrell said...

oh man I love this lady! Emily and I always went and visited grandma goodrich and we would play cinderella...but we always made Grandma be Cinderella! HA and we always used her nice tea set for tea parties! we loved playing at her house and loved finding lots of treasures in all of the drawers in her house!

When this picture popped up I could smell her smell immediately...i love those memories, thanks for reminding me of them!

michelle said...

What a wonderful example! Pretending she's in a spa... I so need to improve my positive thinking skills.

This looks to be a very mutually beneficial relationship.

Julie said...

Betty Lou is the best. I love that attitude. A spa. Now there's a positive outlook to be emulated!

Jill said...

She sounds like a remarkable woman. I love her attitude about the nursing home, what a brilliant way to think of it!

Kathy’s Korner said...

I have not been reading my blogs very much lately, this one really touches a soft spot in my heart. When we were in 6th ward, I was fairly close to Ken and Betty Lou, now...what can I say. Thank you for reminding me of what an awesome person she is. I am so happy you take the time to visit her and gain from her wealth of wisdom, personality and patience.

Katie said...

I miss Betty Lou!!! Like Danielle, I remember many trick-or-treating episodes at her front door and playing in her house as a small child.