Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday Memories - Happy Anniversary


Calvin and me in front of the Washington, D.C. temple two days ago

Happy, happy 30th Anniversary to us.  

I asked Calvin today if he had any words of wisdom about marriage for the kids and he said, "Don't gripe."  

And there you have it.

So let it be written.  So let it be done.

As we were flying home late last night we flew through a lightening storm which threw our plane up and down, to and fro.  After several kiddie-roller-coaster climbs and drops I asked Calvin, "If we crashed on this flight, which of our kids would take it the hardest?"  

We discussed each child and how we supposed, knowing their personalities, each would fare.

Finally he said, "Why do you ask?"  

"I was just wondering," knowing he'd wondered too.

Then he asked, "How many people on this flight would go into a panic if we started to go down do you think?  Half?  More than half?"

I replied, "I don't know.  How about you?  Would you feel at peace if we were going down."

He thought for a moment and then said, "Yeah . . . yeah, I would.  I'd feel at peace.  How about you?"

I answered, "I would too."  (Partly because I'd mopped the floor, vacuumed, changed the sheets, and finished the laundry and ironing before we left, and . . . Emily had just helped me connect part of my family history lines a few hours earlier, so temporarily my i's were dotted and my t's were crossed .)

We quietly leaned into each other thinking and then Calvin looked back out the window at the storm and I leaned over his shoulder and we watched the lightning together.  I was so glad we were on the same plane, literally and figuratively.   

Thank heavens for eternity.  Thirty years isn't nearly long enough.  

8 comments:

abe said...

So, what was the decision? Who would take it the hardest?

Julie said...

Happy Anniversary! It would be hard to not panic as the plane went down. I'm always grateful when we all travel together because I wouldn't want to leave anyone behind. I agree, eternity will be grand because this life isn't nearly long enough. I agree wholeheartedly with Calvin's advice. Perfect!

Grace said...

I'm glad I wasn't on that plane! I definitely would have been panicking. I can't believe how calm you two were. Happy Anniversary! Love you guys :)

Leslie said...

happy, happy anniversary!!! And I love "don't gripe" - gotta work on that more myself. :)

melanie said...

What a beautiful, reflective post. I sure love you and Calvin. Happy Anniversary!!

Ande said...

I'm with Abe! What was the decision?

Becky said...

Congratulations on 30 year! You two are such a great example...I love to see other happy married couples :)

What a great story!

P.S. I'm trying hard to prove I'm not a robot but the word verification has gotten crazy hard!

Jill said...

What a great exchange and statement on life!!