Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday Memories - Sugar & Spice



Calvin has rediscovered cinnamon toast.  He goes in spurts:  one year with, three years without.

See the cinnamon-sugar Tupperware shaker?  It is close to 35 years old and has moved at least nine times. It's like a cat.

Calvin's ex-wife was a Tupperware dealer.  A week after Calvin and I were married, and as I was putting our new wedding and bridal shower gifts away, I found several pieces of Tupperware in the kitchen drawers and cupboards.  I carefully, and thoughtfully, and deliberately threw each piece away.  No more first-marriage mementos in my kitchen.  But, somehow this shaker missed the freeing frenzy.

I told Calvin several days later, long after the Tupperware had been hauled far, far away, that I'd tossed it. He groaned, "Jaaaaane, whaddya do that for?  My mom bought me that Tupperware after I got divorced so I'd have stuff for a kitchen."

Whoops.  Sugar and spice and everything nice is not what insecure second wives are made of.
     

9 comments:

melanie said...

This made me laugh. And laugh and laugh. Does he always leave a little on the counter for you to wipe up?

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Always!

Deanna/Mimi said...

Great story for that book you are going to write...soon I hope. Every Tupperware dealer in the world will love that story. What experiences you have had. Thank you for sharing with all of us and for having the gift of being able to express yourself in words that made me feel like I was right there feeling, seeing, smelling it all. Reminded me too of my own childhood where mixed sugar and cinnamon had to be put on buttered toast. I think I will have to pull a "Calvin" and start eating it again.

Kathy’s Korner said...

That makes me laugh!

Michelle said...

Hahaha! Funny because of the story. And funny because Ty is the same way about cinnamon toast.

Anita said...

I have the same container but use mine for syrup!

melanie said...

I was thinking the sprinkles are a perfect gift for you so you can wipe the counter clean. What a perfect team you two are.

Jill said...

I love cinnamon/sugar toast!

Jill said...

I love cinnamon/sugar toast!